cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@philjohn wrote:

Same - my Zen FTTP (500 down 75 up) is being installed in a few days, it'll be less than I'm paying VM for Vivid 350 from March AND they guarantee not to raise prices either during your minimum term, or for as long as you keep the contract live.

I'm just thankful I've got a plethora of options (FTTC, FTTP and Cable) where I live.

what's the exact wording of that in the Ts&Cs? they are saying they will never increase the price for as long as you remain a customer?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

As long as you stay a customer on a package with their price promise yes, they'll never increase the price, and if it goes down in price you get locked in at that new lower price. If you go to their website and click on "Product Terms and Conditions" the price promise is linked from there.

i can see the loophole they've left open for themselves there to get out of that promise.

considering they are bound by the wholesale price they are never going to let themselves get into a situation where you are paying less than what it is costing them to provide the service to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@spgray wrote:
i can see the loophole they've left open for themselves there to get out of that promise.

considering they are bound by the wholesale price they are never going to let themselves get into a situation where you are paying less than what it is costing them to provide the service to you.

True - but Openreach wholesale prices have only tended to go one way - down. 

adhawkins
Up to speed

Just on the off chance, I ran another test with my HE IPv6 tunnel:

0a3f28a395df48da832201f304704812

Not sure how this fits with some catastrophic hardware issue in the SH3...

Andy

couling
On our wavelength

Coming back to this thread years later, it's not really surprising that so many are feeling frustrated with VM's stance.  As I had tried to articulate before, VM's position of "We've got enough ipv4 addresses so we're okay [without ipv6]" was incredibly naive and could only lead to user frustrations as IPv6 only services come online.  The frustrating experience at the time was after expressing this responses would come back "what ipv6 only services?" or even the impossible to prove [and wrong] "there are no ipv6 only services".

Some years ago I ran into some services I needed which were IPv6 only and after messing around with VPNs and IPv6 gateways I finally closed my account with VM and switched to a different provider.  As much as I would **love** to return as a customer I'm still in that position where doing so would be shooting myself in the foot, it would cost me too much time and effort.

I wanted to write this post to express continued frustration with VM's lack of progress.  Even though I'm no-longer a VM customer, I'm still hitting points where it's causing me trouble.  I've just had to spend an annoying amount of time building an ipv4 interface where the ipv6 interface was a few minutes.  And this because... some of my colleagues use Virgin Media.

I just wanted to put it out there that Virgin Media's painfully slow rollout of IPv6 is now starting to cost others time and money.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I wish IPv6 used the ARP protocol as thier is a bit setting to say IPv6 with IPv6 IP's would make things easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I decided for a bit of a laugh, I created this: https://havevirginmediaenabledipv6yet.co.uk/. Basically a summary of the IPv6 story on Virgin Media in one place for anyone interested.

I don't expect much to come of it if I'm honest, given they've ignored their own community forum for 10+ years, why would they listen to some angry pro IPv6 customer who bought a domain to poke fun?! I at least got a bit of experience with Jekyll and YAML, hosted through GitHub pages which I'd not used much before. I did have to proxy it through Cloudflare as GitHub also doesn't have IPv6 on it's GitHub pages environment, ironic creating a website calling out Virgin Media for lack of IPv6 when it itself wouldn't have it either LOL.

100+ pages of IPv6 banter on a single web page, if anyone wants to suggest changes to it, it's on GitHub.

You should have made it IPv6 only, then the staff wouldn't be able to complain about content as it wouldn't be accessible to them.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@VMCopperUser wrote:

You should have made it IPv6 only, then the staff wouldn't be able to complain about content as it wouldn't be accessible to them.

Ha ha checkmate. I guess the one thing they can do is get me on trademark infringement on use of the logo if they want to issue a takedown at the GitHub repo, they can. Otherwise I highly doubt they'll be bothered. Meant to be mostly informative, domain name is just a bit of a cheeky dig, but I've seen far worse said on their own forums here! I had someone email me recently about how they to had found the IPv6 tunnel speed issues and something I wrote saved them hours of smashing their head on the desk wondering why the performance sucked. In short, because Virgin Media. End of the TED talk.