cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi dgcarter,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm afraid we don't have any information we can share regarding the implementation of IPv6 on our network at the moment.

We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment and will provide an update at the appropriate time.

Thanks,

Rachael

Thank you for replying.

TonyJr

@spgray wrote:
well done everyone on pouncing on a virgin forum member for daring to give a response/update on a thread.
they really can't win - lambasted for not commenting, and lambasted for commenting.

some of you guys should seriously have a word with yourselves, and maybe retire your keyboard warrior personas.

if what rachel posted remains the current status of IPv6 support then what else do you want them to say?

"Pouncing" and poking fun are not really the same thing.

I would imagine, that due to other people talking in the topic that the mod has seen the thread go back to the top of the list and then replied to it in an automatic, "mind-see-do", support way.  It might have been an update, I doubt that, but I am going to assume they replied to the original post without spotting how old it is.

I would prefer for it to be a mistake to be honest, little necro mistakes happen all of the time on forums so it's just a meh thing.  If it's someone giving an honest update of "no update" to a 10 year old question then that's just no benefit to us.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

even it was "poking fun", is that something that's ok to do to a staff member trying to give some sort of "official" reply?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@spgray wrote:
even it was "poking fun", is that something that's ok to do to a staff member trying to give some sort of "official" reply?

it is not an "official" reply, it is a staff trying to meet the quota on replays on the forum, everyone wants a bonus to their salary :-D. it translates to English as "go f$%k yourself".

@spgray wrote:

Yes it is okay.

And all "official" update on a release of this type only count when they come from https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases .. Plenty of senior staff on here have said things in the past that never tend to happen or happen highly differently than the final option/"press release" says. 

Not looking for an argument here or anything, just saying that I personally meant no harm or disrespect in my post, and as they work tech support then it's doubtful that what I said would come even close to something that they would give more than a passing thought to.

----
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@spgray wrote:
well done everyone on pouncing on a virgin forum member for daring to give a response/update on a thread.
they really can't win - lambasted for not commenting, and lambasted for commenting.

some of you guys should seriously have a word with yourselves, and maybe retire your keyboard warrior personas.

if what rachel posted remains the current status of IPv6 support then what else do you want them to say?

I just re-read all the replies to Rachel and I thought they were actually quite polite. The response she gave was the same neutral holding response that Virgin has been giving for years that says nothing useful. What I want is for Virgin to tell us something informative, even if it's not good news..

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

At the moment there are no plans to move to IPv6 for the next 5 years.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Morgaine
Superfast

The forum popped up one of those Customer Survey boxes that we get here from time to time, and after the recent completely uninformative "response" that we received from Virgin staff, I thought to myself, "Aha, the perfect time to provide customer survey feedback about the lack of IPv6".  Well, 5 attempts later, I now realize that their survey techies can't even handle plain text in an input box, so I might as well post it here as part of the community thread instead:  [contains no personal info]

It is 2021, almost a decade since the World IPv6 Day in 2011 and the World IPv6 Launch day in the following year, yet you still do not provide up-to-date networking, only IPv4.

Alone among the three major UK ISPs, Virgin Media has completely ignored the requests of its technically knowledgeable customers for IPv6, expressed in both its community forum and in customer surveys like this one.

This is a total failure by Virgin to keep up with modern IP provisioning, and post-Brexit, it is also a failure that harms our ability to compete with the EU and to be a leader in networking.

In past surveys, the value I assigned for "Would you recommend Virgin Media to others?" was less than 50% owing to lack of IPv6. Well perhaps VM is lucky that their survey crashed 5 times, because this time I was intending to assign a mark of zero.

I think my main feeling is one of sadness, sadness that a major UK ISP can be so out of date in networking technology, so self-centered that it rejects informed dialogue with its community, so hostile to its customers' requirements that it thinks silence is an adequate response, and so uncaring of the future of the UK in worldwide networking.  As a company, Virgin Media doesn't meet even the most basic requirements of professional quality management.

Fortunately we won't be stuck with Virgin's incompetence as an ISP for long.  Starlink is already serving beta customers in the UK, and will offer IPv6 upon release (it's already working in beta). And other competing services are coming as well.

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

ha! I've complained about ipv6 in a dozen or more of those feedback things over years. never got the impression it makes any difference sadly..

Would it be shocking if they only read the ones where people give it all 5's and say "I Love the fact that we don't have IPv6"?  Then giving those to senior managers and saying "See, Community Support!".

I wouldn't.

----