cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rachael_F wrote:

We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment and will provide an update at the appropriate time.

LOL. I've been a VM customer for 20 years as of last week. This thread on getting IPv6 support has been going for virtually half of the time I have been a customer. The message from on high has been the same for virtually all of those years. Ridiculous doesn't really cover it.

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi dgcarter,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm afraid we don't have any information we can share regarding the implementation of IPv6 on our network at the moment.

We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment and will provide an update at the appropriate time.

Thanks,

Rachael

Um, Rachael - if you take a hour (or two) to read the hundreds of pages of messages in this thread that has been running for over TEN (yes, over 3,653 days) - you might realise that Virgin have been telling us they are finalising their plans (or at least saying that they are) for a technology that is already twenty years old for a very long time. I might venture to suggest that the appropriate time for an update was some years ago...

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi dgcarter,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm afraid we don't have any information we can share regarding the implementation of IPv6 on our network at the moment.

Dear Rachael, I regret to inform you that dgcarter waited for your answer for more than 7 years and lost hope 3 years ago, as result they left VM and this forum.

PS. The "competence" of the VM staff as it is

As a long standing VM customer (> 20 years) the broadbans service has been good. Tried 2 times to use their TV services but never liked the boxes.

Am unlikely to switch away as BT only supports small download speeds over BT cable. < 100mb. I am on 200mb and it works fine (mostly) City fibre lools like it will be rolling out sometime this year. I will have to wait and see what they offer and at what price, but any suggestion of changing my landline number is a non starter. When we moved from BT to virgin (cable on line 20 years ago) we had to get a new number, no intention of doing that again. 

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi dgcarter,

Thanks,

Rachael

Rachel,

it's interesting that you should use the phrase "in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment and will provide an update at the appropriate time" because those were the exact words used in this article from early August 2020, so there's been at least five months to finalise plans..

indeed in mid 2017 a virgin media spokeman said: “Virgin Media intends to start the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 later this year in line with the wider adoption of IPv6 across the internet. This deployment will be seamless to customers.”

I'm interested to know how long you need to finalise these plans, and whether VM has a date in mind for sharing these plans with us?

Many thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As much as I would like to see IP 6 deployed, VM is highly unlikely to implement it in the current climate. You only have to look at how well customer services is managing, think of the extra overhead of an IP 6 implementation. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi dgcarter,

Thanks,

Rachael

Nice....

Support have caught up to 27th of March 2010....

I think some of the people using the same quote 20 years ago, "We will ~ Update", but have since left the business.

Ah well, Couldn't help it Rachel - thanks for replying to him ;P..

My old WRT54G (v1) handles IPv6... 20 years old and it has IPv6 Support and can still handle VM's "FIBRE" Upload without issues.  Cant do much else, will check the 13 year old forum now and see if there's a new firmware for it.. who knows ;P....

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

well done everyone on pouncing on a virgin forum member for daring to give a response/update on a thread.
they really can't win - lambasted for not commenting, and lambasted for commenting.

some of you guys should seriously have a word with yourselves, and maybe retire your keyboard warrior personas.

if what rachel posted remains the current status of IPv6 support then what else do you want them to say?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spgray wrote:
if what rachel posted remains the current status of IPv6 support then what else do you want them to say?

Nothing.

Seriously if there is nothing coherent to say other than PR waffle then don't bother.

I don't see much "keyboard warrior" in the responses. Lots of justified frustration from some very long standing customers though who have just been dealt yet another price increase.

@Anonymous wrote:

@spgray wrote:

Nothing.

Seriously if there is nothing coherent to say other than PR waffle then don't bother.

I don't see much "keyboard warrior" in the responses. Lots of justified frustration from some very long standing customers though who have just been dealt yet another price increase.

and you'd get the same people complaining about getting no response - they can't win.
frustration is ok as long as that's all it is, and how long standing someone is is irrelevant.

if the price increase is something you aren't happy with then you are allowed to cancel without penalty.

your reponse is very much keyboard warrior, you just can't see it yourself. "nothing coherent" and "PR waffle" is essentially a personal attack on the person posting it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray