cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

> Virgin Media Spokesperson

I am 100% sure that person knows about network and firmware as much as 90-year-old grandpa, who forgets his son's name every 30 seconds. Next thing they will say: "VM network is perfect, it functions as intended, 6in4 is a "single-stream protocol" and we can't guarantee speeds of any tunnels, and let's be honest, no one needs IPv6 as everything available with IPv4". The spokesman is no different than support staff on this forum, the brain is not included in the package.

I pinged Mark at ISPReview this morning; he hasn't had any updates from VM as yet and he sai he's not expecting any for some time as VM are always really slow to investigate and fix things (but I guess we knew that...).

@ksim wrote:
that was the case when we investigated it for the first time, some customers had no issues with tunnel speeds sometimes, most of the users saw 12-20 all the time.

60% of the time, it works every time!

TonyJr

Thanks for the update. Yeah sadly, it is probably going to be that way for a while I'd imagine. I think Mark has dealt with Virgin Media enough to know they move much slower than their advertised broadband speeds for most things!

I guess we can't get our hopes up just yet. Who knows what will happen.

@melamandi wrote:

did you manage to get this fixed?

I tried several times using below but would not work...https://www.melamandi.com/ 

Not yet. I am going to re-test after 29/10 as there are code updates to some of the CBRs due then, although that may be for a different reason... reading further into some of the recent fixes released into the code, it may have something to do with IPv6. Hmmm I wonder.

TonyJr

Z92
Trouble shooter

I guess virgin have already investigated and decided that there's nothing exclusively on IPv6 that people want to access so why bother implementing it... 

and of course, people only use the internet for email and shopping... [I swear a spokes person has said that before, but I can't find a reference]

thelem
On our wavelength

Mark at ISP Review asked for an update on the tunnelling issue and was told they're still working on it.

Their response includes the statement "We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment" which is promising. We'll see how long that process takes.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/quick-update-for-virgin-media-speed-issues-on-ipv6-tun...

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Maybe kind of encouraging; let us see...

@thelem wrote:

Mark at ISP Review asked for an update on the tunnelling issue and was told they're still working on it.

Their response includes the statement "We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment" which is promising.

Were you expecting them to say: "We are an incompetent bunch, sorry but this will never be fixed, or IPv6 ever implemented, stay with us!".? VM Spokesman is getting their salary not for telling the truth, but getting out of such questions with less reputational damages.

thelem
On our wavelength

They could have replied to say they don't have an update at this time.

The question was about 6in4 tunneling, so they didn't even need to mention full IPv6 rollout.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media