cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@ChrisJenkins wrote:

What model of VM cable modem/router do you have? Is it a SuperHub 4?

Superhub 3.

Andy

Another question Andy; what is your local tunnel endpoint configured on? is it your router (what model)? A Linux machine? A Mac? Windows?

Just curious.

Chris

Hi,

It's configured on the pfSense router.

Andy

Same story for me currently:

It did look like iperf3 was able to achieve higher speeds, but I think the interface binding with iperf3 is not working properly, even though I was testing my 6in4 interface and the src address was the tunnel, it seemed to be using my Wireguard interface, so that caused some confusion!

@jamesmacwhite wrote:

Same story for me currently:

It did look like iperf3 was able to achieve higher speeds, but I think the interface binding with iperf3 is not working properly, even though I was testing my 6in4 interface and the src address was the tunnel, it seemed to be using my Wireguard interface, so that caused some confusion!

Me too...

What's odd is that I am getting 12~13 meg ATM too.... Just random chance perhaps?..

Cant turn v6 network back on till tonight, but if the Hub4 users are not suffering the same problem then that would suggest a firmware fault.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Well, whatever they did yesterday, they've undone today:

bb881887d5287dae9777dc8529f19ea7

(306MBits/sec IPv4, 14.2MBits/sec IPv6)

Andy

Weird that this seems to be potentially transient though.

If it was the CPE, then you'd expect everyone to consistently see the same issue with no differences, but if you suddenly were able to pull max speed like your native IPv4 with a HTTP(s) speed test for a while, you'd think the CPE can't be the issue, but it sounds like even Virgin Media themselves don't know exactly what it is. As others have reported, this happened on the original Super Hub, I imagine the SH2/ac as well, but I never had one. I've only had SH1 and SH3, if a firmware fix is deployed, I'd imagine it is only going to be for the SH3.

I've had a couple of people say it doesn't appear to be a problem with the Hub4, but I can't personally verify the claims until my area is DOCSIS 3.1 and that could be well into 2021 by then.

We'll have to see what Virgin Media find. Question is which will be first. Their native IPv6 roll out or a fix for the 6in4 speed issue. Place your bets!

Agreed. The fact that it *can* work perfectly at much higher speeds strongly indicates it is not the modem/router, which makes sense to me since it's hard to see how a router in modem mode could have a firmware issue affecting just 6in4 traffic...

Anyway, as you say, we'll have to wait and see what the final outcome is. I'm not optimistic of getting any quick fix TBH.

Yes, at least thanks to your efforts it has at least been publicly acknowledged now with some form of commitment, hopefully Mark at ISP Review can keep them honest. It's a big step forward than us just ranting about it here that's for sure!

Probably need to sit tight for a while, but hopefully we can keep some pressure on the issue. The fact Virgin Media are looking into it now has to be a positive and shows there's perhaps enough people complaining about it now to take notice.

Sad to say I'm seeing no improvement here in rural Leics on a SH3 with HE tunnel terminated on an OpenWrt router. IPv6 testing using dslreports and ipv6-test.com shows throughput no higher than ~17mb/s. wget'ing a file over http from a server on a 20gb/s connection maxes out my 200mb/s connection on IPv4, but similarly gets no higher than ~17mb/s on IPv6

¯\_(ツ)_/¯