cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@Adduxi wrote:

Excuse my ignorance in all this, but if I remember correctly VM Ireland has a lot of requests to be put on IPv4 only, and I think the main driver is for gaming.

Now if this is correct and VM UK move to DS-Lite, can VM still advertise as "great for gaming" ?

Latency is the key to gaming, so xDSL tends to be better.

Users who need to host end to end connections over different ISP's might need IPv4 to connect, but that's due to other ISP users not having v6.  For those users who "need" their own IPv4 then Dual-Stack is the actual product they should get.  I too "need" IPv4 because of my SIP phones, but that doesn't mean I don't want IPv6 to roll out.  There are two issues at play, the lack of deployment of IPv6 and CGNAT, but they are lobbed together as a single problem and VM seem unwilling to roll it out.  If they really want to roll out CGNAT then they should run a large test area, the complains they get back would likely show them why it's a horrible idea.  Sadly they would likely view that as a failure for IPv6 deployment and not a failure of CGNAT.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Looks like Virgin are finally looking into the IPv6 tunnelling issues:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/virgin-media-uk-move-to-fix-20mbps-speed-cap-on-ipv6-t...

Yeah, I contacted Mark at ISP Review about this a few weeks ago and he actually managed to get some traction with someone at Virgin Media. I'm not holding my breath for a fix but at least they finally seem to be acknowledging there is a problem!

Fingers crossed...

Hello

Just checked mine and a few weeks ago was running around the 20 mbps and now running at 199 mbps so far a lot happier, I am running through hurricane electric.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Interesting I also just got a connection request from Lobo Olopade on LinkedIn who's within the network team at Liberty Global and has been involved in the IPv6 deployment at VM. Possibly related to the post made in the IPv6 council group.

Glad it's been finally brought up in other mainstream tech media. I did tweet Mark at ISP Preview my article a few months.

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Just checked mine and a few weeks ago was running around the 20 mbps and now running at 199 mbps so far a lot happier, I am running through hurricane electric.

Regards Mike

I have just tried, but there is no change for me. I am using HE but on a VM Business connection.

TonyJr

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to get some coverage. Thanks Chris and James for highlighting the problem and bringing it to ISPReview's attention.

A quick test this morning shows no change for my connection.😢

Same here. VM Business 500, Hurricane Electric. Measured just now - 26 Mbit/s.

Based on VMs comments it seems likely to be months at least before any fix might be available, assuming that they do decide to implement a fix...

I've just run a test, getting these results:

If they're correct (301MBits/sec on IPv4, 293 MBits/sec on IPv6), it looks promising to me.

Edit: Just been monitoring my pfsense router while running another test, and the IPv6 figure does indeed seem to be correct. You can see from the image below that the first burst of activity appears on the WAN interface only, the second burst also goes over the HE tunnel.

adhawkins_0-1596707949086.png

Andy

What model of VM cable modem/router do you have? Is it a SuperHub 4?

I just did the same test and got 498 Mbit/s for IPv4 and 22.5 Mbit.s for IPv6. I have a Hitron router.