cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

Funny you mentioned the Super Hub 2, at my parents house, I realised it was the Super Hub 2 that isn't even dual band capable, so you have to choose either 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz on a single band (ewww). As it happens it's in modem mode with a R7000 (one of my older routers) so all the 5GHz capable wireless devices don't get their download speed cut by about 45% because of an Amazon Kindle... This however shows the age of Super Hub's in the network.

I too would be sceptical about Virgin Media wanting to move everyone onto the newest hub for IPv6. The Super Hub 3 supports IPv6, it's just disabled in the production firmware, the Super Hub 2 might even be capable as well, mostly down to the firmware deployed really.

Are you sure the SuperHub 2 isn't able todo both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously? We still have a SuperHub 2 (Hardware Version 3.11) and it is capable of both at the same time as their own separate SSID

Interestingly we notified by VirginMedia that we needed our router replaced but once we told them it was a SuperHub 2 they stepped back and said we didn't need a new one and won't be sending one out. Not that it matters much for us as we we're using modem mode with pfSense though it would seem VM are rather reluctant in replacing hardware. Does they mean they'll push a firmware update to the Hub2 for IPv6 support? who knows take that for what you will.

@jamesmacwhite wrote:

Funny you mentioned the Super Hub 2, at my parents house, I realised it was the Super Hub 2 that isn't even dual band capable, so you have to choose either 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz on a single band (ewww). As it happens it's in modem mode with a R7000 (one of my older routers) so all the 5GHz capable wireless devices don't get their download speed cut by about 45% because of an Amazon Kindle... This however shows the age of Super Hub's in the network.

Are you sure it's not a SuperHub 1, that was limited to either 2.4 or 5Ghz but couldn't do both.

The SuperHub 2 can do both.bands simultaneously. 

Thats because they know most people don't want to deal with the hub3/4 and the associated PUMA issues

@jamesmacwhite wrote:

I too would be sceptical about Virgin Media wanting to move everyone onto the newest hub for IPv6. The Super Hub 3 supports IPv6, it's just disabled in the production firmware, the Super Hub 2 might even be capable as well, mostly down to the firmware deployed really.

The Super Hub 2 and 2ac definitely support both bands.  What you describe does sound like a regular Super Hub.

You should check to see what device they have.  If the connection is fine for them then don't worry about it, but the old Super Hub doesn't support the same bonding that the newer units do so could do with being replaced.  That said - I would wait for the Hub 4 to become the standard unit and then ask for a replacement.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

I just joined Virgin today (got it all installed) and received a Hub 3, and now I'm seeing that there's a Hub 4! That's upsetting...

I was surprised when I was testing out the new 500 Mbps and saw it was only IPv4. It was amusing to see 0/10 on test-ipv6.com

Ultimate Oomph | 660/42 Mbps on Hub 3 | Deco M9 Plus 3-pack Wi-Fi Mesh

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@mrjeeves wrote:

I just joined Virgin today (got it all installed) and received a Hub 3, and now I'm seeing that there's a Hub 4! That's upsetting...

I was surprised when I was testing out the new 500 Mbps and saw it was only IPv4. It was amusing to see 0/10 on test-ipv6.com

Yep VM still getting rid of hub 3 but is fine for 500Mb with the hub 4 for 1Gb.

IPv4 is all you need

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

IPv4 is all you need

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

@ksim wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

IPv4 is all you need

Said nobody ever - it's an urban myth!

@jem101 wrote:

@ksim wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

IPv4 is all you need

Said nobody ever - it's an urban myth!

The same "urban myths" as:

"The protocol (41) is single threaded"
"IPv6 will not happen till it does NAT because sadly everyone knows NAT as a poor means of a firewall."
"IPv4 is all you need"

@legacy1is the best representation of VM, that how you know VM customers will never see IPv6, as the tech team is full of "legacy1"s.