cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It might be cynical, but I just think VM will implement the cheapest form of IPv6, they are out to make money for their shareholders not to satisfy customers. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor 

I think if that were the case then they would have already gone with DS-Lite.

I'm reasonably certain that they're not going to go with that.  Although it is an opinion.  I can't say more than that.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m also hoping for no DS-Lite.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

I’m also hoping for no DS-Lite.

You have nothing to worry about, VM will stay IPv4-only for years.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think their trial would have convinced them that it's a bad idea. 😉

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

Hopefully the trial gave indications that they would need to give a lot of customer support.

Staff cost are something they seem to hate paying (Going by the complaints over the past few months about long wait times to even speak to someone I can only imagine whole departments are being exited?). 

So if it looks like it will need a lot of customer support, they will look for another option. (My personal view)

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Here's a very good podcast on the IPv6 Buzz site, featuring Veronika McKillop from the UK IPv6 Council:

Although her day job is on Microsoft's IPv6 team, the snippets of wisdom she conveys apply to all large organizations (certainly to ISPs), and in large degree to all companies without exception in this online age.

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just discovered the IPv6 Buzz podcast myself. Episode 19 on Broadband Internet Cable Providers was also interesting...though the sheer scale of US networks does change the maths (or should that be "math"?) somewhat.

Maybe VM are not bothering because they worry that a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour government will take away their infrastructure and they know they are not going to get the full market amount for those assets - especially as they will not integrate very well into those of other ISPs who were using ADSL over copper-wire pairs and now Fibre to the Home instead?

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

@SlySven wrote:

Maybe VM are not bothering because they worry that a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour government will take away their infrastructure and they know they are not going to get the full market amount for those assets - especially as they will not integrate very well into those of other ISPs who were using ADSL over copper-wire pairs and now Fibre to the Home instead?

Labour's "free broadband" policy is to nationalise BT's Openreach which has nothing to do with VM or it's network.