cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

mhmeadows63
Joining in

I recently had an engineer visit to improve cabl signal levels and took the opportunity to ask if he had any knowledge of an IPv6 rollout schedule.

He had none, but promised to get back to me with an answer. This, he did within a few days.

He reported that the initial focus is on upgrading business connections and that he had been unable to identify a schedule for starting residential upgrades.

Disappointing, but could it be that the observed growth fits this story?

We are currently up for renewal and Virgin don't appear to offer IPv6 but if we go through a re-seller they do so possibly they are letting re-sellers trial it for their customers first before virgin support it.

I would imagine business first would make sense as we tend to buy static IPv4 addresses so don't have to do CGNAT.

Most people who sit on those sales booths know nothing about the service.  They were just hoping to get a new customer sales bonus from you.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Don't think i'm being mis-sold he seems to know what he is on about.

The other option is BT which 100% does IPv6 and its only £5 more expensive for the same 1Gb link.

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

We are currently up for renewal and Virgin don't appear to offer IPv6 but if we go through a re-seller they do so possibly they are letting re-sellers trial it for their customers first before virgin support it.

I would imagine business first would make sense as we tend to buy static IPv4 addresses so don't have to do CGNAT.

Who resells VM connections? 

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

Don't think i'm being mis-sold he seems to know what he is on about.

The other option is BT which 100% does IPv6 and its only £5 more expensive for the same 1Gb link.

okay you are getting confused? Ifdyou have a 1Gb link then you won't be on residential or paying peanuts - do you mean your computer shows as 1Gbps on the Ethernet card? 

These lot resell virgin https://daisygroup.com/smb/

I'm also not confused, this is a business line which is currently 400Mb we want to upgrade to 1Gbps. It's a £5 difference between using virgin and BT not £5 for a 1Gbps line that would be a bit too cheap..

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

These lot resell virgin https://daisygroup.com/smb/

I'm also not confused, this is a business line which is currently 400Mb we want to upgrade to 1Gbps. It's a £5 difference between using virgin and BT not £5 for a 1Gbps line that would be a bit too cheap..

Fairly sure the service they provide is basically a ethernet tunnel.  It's just a leased line with VM Buisness carrying the tunnel data.  There's no need for any part of the VM network to be IPv6 for those customers to get IPv6, nor is there any need for any part of the VM network to be IPv4 to get IPv4 connectivity.  It's a tunnel and everything between their gateway box and their servers is invisible to you.

It also looks like Virgin may have found a way to roll out PHORM using a service like that.

“Not only do we now have access to these services, but through the agreement Virgin Media Business will supply our partners with a data-washing service against its on-net checker, allowing for more targeted marketing and sales campaigns.”

So you sign your business service up to them, everything gets redirected through them, and they get to scour your data and perhaps even add in some adverts...

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

I forgot about PHORM - used it at the ISP I worked with in 2010 - god it was a pain in the arse and hated by all.

Going by the way the service is heading, I am contemplating scrapping my TV, broadband and phone package for Voom 3. As for TV and phone:  I started to re-enable the Freeview feeds to each room - all of the TVs we have contain built in recording, and also have multicast IPTV that we used to distribute the TiVo output, for anything else maybe xbox or alike. Already have a SIP trunk connected to a UC520 so that is voice sorted too.

Before ordering, I am going to ask them the important questions about IPv6 and how the Voom service will change from how it is now, when IPv6 is rolled out, as I would like dual stack. As i will be opting for a routed v4 subnet, I would be happy to receive IPv6 via another GRE tunnel if that is how they will do it.

Anyway, what are your views on doing this? I do run a business from home.

TonyJr