cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My understanding is that BT users get a /56

However what typically happens is that the router will use a /64 from that delegation.

There's an interesting thread on the BT forums here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/How-to-get-IPv6-working/td-p/1732761

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adduxi:

If you look through your HH6's Event log, which is in the hub's GUI menus at:
         Advanced Settings->Technical log->Event log
you'll find a line containing something like:

WAN DHCPv6 Client Prefix : 2a00:23xx:xxxx:xx00::/56 (valid time = ...

From https://www.bgpview.io/asn/2856#prefixes-v6, BT has a prefix of 2a00:2380::/25
which you can see in the first 6 hex digits (6*4 = 24 bits) of your client prefix.
The 25th bit of their allocation is a 1-bit (bit 3 of hex '8'), so your 'x' hex digits
can be anything as long as the first one starts with a 1-bit, hence '8' through 'f'.

So, altogether there are 14 hex digits = 14*4 = 56 bits in your prefix, matching the /56
mentioned in your Event log. (The "00" just before the :: is not part of your prefix, but
just pushes the two preceding 'x' digits left by 2*4=8 bits.) What that line is telling
us is that BT is delegating to clients a /56 IPv6 block, the same as Sky. According to a
presentation given by Virgin at a meeting of the UK IPv6 Council, this is also the same
as Virgin will provide. (Just as well, as competing on delegation width would be daft.)

The /64 that you observed isn't the client delegation but only the width assigned to the
IPv6 address on the interface connected to the CPE's switch. You can see that on the two
pages Home->Advanced settings->IPv6->Ststus and Home->Advanced settings->IPv6->Configuration.
Those detail the settings on the WAN and LAN sides respectively, the WAN settings being fixed
and the LAN settings being configurable.

A delegation of /56 provides 256 blocks of /64, so in summary what you have is this:

2a00:23xx:xxxx:xx00::/64 - Block 00 - On your HH6's LAN interface and switch
2a00:23xx:xxxx:xx01::/64 - Block 01 - On your HH6's WAN interface
2a00:23xx:xxxx:xx02::/64 - Block 02 - First block available for further routing
.... 252 more /64 blocks
2a00:23xx:xxxx:xxff::/64 - Block ff - Last block available for further routing

Virgin Media also shows a /25 assignment at https://www.bgpview.io/asn/5089#prefixes-v6
which is probably not a coincidence: 2a02:8880::/25 (as well as a smaller /32). If VM
uses the /25 for their customer pools then IPv6 prefix delegation on Virgin will have
the same general layout as on BT, which will save wear and tear on our grey matter. 😛
Unfortunately Sky breaks the symmetry with their 2a02:c78::/29. 😞

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68  , @Morgaine

Thanks guys for the information.  I think I'll go and lie down in a dark room.!!

All those Hex numbers are too much 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

would this be why i cannot access some sites on my virgin internet but can when I change over to wifree

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kjuytfcvbnmk - Unlikely IMHO.  Start a new thread and detail which sites you can't reach.  Also if you are getting error messages please post them up so we can see them.

Tim

I can't get through to this even unless I change to wi-free

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kjuytfcvbnmk wrote:

I can't get through to this even unless I change to wi-free

Please start a new thread and please post up the error messages you are getting in that thread.

Tim

Sunday update --- we're still in the small upward trend noted a fortnight ago, but it may be ending:

apnic_2018_09_16_Sun_vm.png

It's a bit early to say that the current rise in numbers is over, as today's 2,032 isn't far down from the recent maximum of 2,099 seen on 2018-09-12. Nevertheless, to the eye it looks like the end of a small peak. If that was the customer trial then it wasn't very extensive.

It also leaves us with a bit of a dilemma when trying to interpret the IPv6 activity of the last year. Customer trials are generally much more extensive than internal ones, yet the 2K peak of the past month's hypothetical "customer trial" is tiny compared to the three 8K-10K "internal trial" peaks observed over the last year. It doesn't look right at all.

I do see two possible scenarios that fit the observed IPv6 counts, but they're both a bit worrying. The common part of these scenarios is this: a year ago, VM started deploying DS-Lite internally in a Big Bang plan that started with adding IPv6 to all of its employee desktops and internal routing, since DS-Lite runs over internal IPv6 infrastructure. If so, then the first two peaks at 2017-09-28 and 2017-12-14 represent two phases of internal testing, and the slow rise to a third peak at 2018-03-29 represents gradual rollout of IPv6 routers all across the country. That internal test was terminated in the first fortnight of April 2018 for reasons unknown, but the obvious candidate for an explanation is that DS-Lite was discovered to be unfit for Virgin's internal use at this early stage, though still "adequate for customers" --- hence the current field trials now continuing with DS-Lite.

The trouble with that scenario is that DS-Lite needs internal IPv6 infrastructure over which to run, including IPv6 on employee desktops for support, yet we're not seeing APNIC counts up to 10K now like we did before --- the current numbers seem far too small. The above scenario does sort of work if the current (alleged) "customer trial" were of Dual Stack instead of DS-Lite (based on the premise that employees rejected DS-Lite for their internal use), since Dual Stack doesn't require extensive deployment of IPv6 across Virgin infrastructure, only in field equipment. The problem with that premise is that it's not what people suggest is happening.

An alternative scenario is that perhaps DS-Lite is being deployed to customers for trialing without any internal IPv6 deployment within Virgin Media at all because internal rollout is being left for later, after most of the Internet is IPv6. That could explain the numbers as well, since high-volume IPv6 trunks are separate pipes and the corporate admin network doesn't have to use them. However, this would seem to imply that they're not capitalizing on the main benefit of DS-Lite, namely moving to IPv6-only internally. It fits the APNIC data, but it wouldn't be saying a lot for VM's belief in IPv6 if they're not eating their own dogfood at this stage.

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

just wanted to say thanks for keeping this going. I know I certainly keep an eye on it on a regular basis just to see what, if any progress there is. 🙂

I wouldn't hold your breath with IPv6 support, just had Virgin media Business respond saying its on the product road map for H2 next year.