cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spotted this link on the @IPv6Excuses twitter:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Sorry-this-programme-is-not-available-in-this-regi...

Seems that Virgin TV Go doesn't work if you have IPv6 turned on. I'd not tried this app but it is broken with my normal house network which has a Hurricane Electric IPv6 as well as VM IPv4. With my guest WiFi (which is IPv4 only) I can stream live TV OK.

maybe that's the hold up? maybe they've now confirmed that the network itself works fine, but may of their in-house apps break in the presence of IPv6. They can't roll it out if half their own apps don't work..

of course, virgin have been telling us for 7+ years that they're testing this stuff internally, so you'd think they might have spotted this by now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be. I suspect my issue is due to the replication provider VM using not understanding my ipv6 address is in the UK. Shouldn't be an issue for VM as they just need to whitelist their address range.

There is a lot more to an ipv6 roll out than just the connectivity.

A family member of mine has just (this last month) had to have their CPE (hub) upgraded as they've had it for 8+ years and due to "network upgrades" it is no longer compatible, so I would imagine removing all of the legacy kit from the network has had to happen before they flick the switch for everyone too

A development:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/cable-isp-virgin-media-start-uk-customer-trial-of-ipv6...

Cable broadband and TV operator Virgin Media has this week begun sending out “confidential” invites to what appears to be their first official customer trial of the IPv6 internet addressing standard, which until now has only been tested internally by the company’s staff (plus the occasional unexpected subscriber).

The article goes on to say that modem mode is not supported by the trial.

horseman
Alessandro Volta

@cje85 wrote:

A development:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/cable-isp-virgin-media-start-uk-customer-trial-of-ipv6...

Cable broadband and TV operator Virgin Media has this week begun sending out “confidential” invites to what appears to be their first official customer trial of the IPv6 internet addressing standard, which until now has only been tested internally by the company’s staff (plus the occasional unexpected subscriber).

The article goes on to say that modem mode is not supported by the trial.

Amusingly (and “debatably”:) ) : “erroneous”,”ambiguous”,”incomprehensive”,”totally out-of-context” media reporting that cannot be authenticated officially as anyone that is involved directly in sourcing that ISP REVIEW will be protected by “journalistic confidentiality” and thus too cowardly to subseqëntly disclose their identity here!

Modem mode/Parental Guidance (and other known “trial temporary” limitations) simply demonstrate why VM futilely attempt to impose some implied(and even explicit) confidentiality ala NDA  to minimise the inevitable deluge of naive and gullible Q&A’s that will result.  

Arguing/Discussing the current “Trial limitations” by elaborating sufficiently in “numpty speak” will effectively take longer than predicted lifespan of average forum user!

Offensive reply? - Not intended but unfortunately will be inevitably interpreted by many that will simply not have the time, inclination (and in a few? Hopefully only rare cases neither the aptitude)  to assimilate AND understand the underlying technology!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Anonymous
Not applicable

@horseman wrote:

Offensive reply? - Not intended but unfortunately will be inevitably interpreted by many that will simply not have the time, inclination (and in a few? Hopefully only rare cases neither the aptitude)  to assimilate AND understand the underlying technology!

Having a bad day? You seem to be arguing with yourself! It's Friday, lighten up.

From my perspective it seems like an interesting "leak", sadly it seems that VM aren't as far forward as many of us hoped they were and a wide scale deployment of IPv6 will be some way off if the article is true. I guess we'll need to see what comes of the trial. I think most of the regular commenters on this thread are smart enough to realise that trial limitations wont necessarily be carried forward to the final deployment. It would kinda suck for a power user such as myself if they did though.

@Anonymous wrote:

@horseman wrote:

Having a bad day? You seem to be arguing with yourself! It's Friday, lighten up.

From my perspective it seems like an interesting "leak", sadly it seems that VM aren't as far forward as many of us hoped they were and a wide scale deployment of IPv6 will be some way off if the article is true. I guess we'll need to see what comes of the trial. I think most of the regular commenters on this thread are smart enough to realise that trial limitations wont necessarily be carried forward to the final deployment. It would kinda suck for a power user such as myself if they did though.

I'm not sure I have that much faith in VM on this score tbh... but I'd like to be surprised.. 🙂

Funny, my post about this exact same article was pulled, almost immediately, let's see what happens to this one.

Reading vendor site this could well be the absolute worst way to roll out IPv6 as it seems to remove the ability for CPE to have ipv4 at all, although hopefully that's just a benefit VM won't use.

Note that I am basing this on the press release earlier in the year about the use of Benu networks, not this weeks ispreview article directly.

For me IPv4 address, modem mode and /56 or /48 are a minimum for me to stick with VM.

I'd love to be ipv6 only but until everywhere I might need to vpn back from is IPv6 still need that pesky old IPv4.

@deasmi wrote:

Reading vendor site this could well be the absolute worst way to roll out IPv6 as it seems to remove the ability for CPE to have ipv4 at all, although hopefully that's just a benefit VM won't use.

Also, if VM leave modem mode enabled, it would seem that you'll need a DS-lite capable router (to perform the B4 function). The only ones I can find are made by D-Link - see page 49 of this manual for the DIR-895L  My current ASUS RT-AC87U, athough IPv6 ready (and currently using an HE tunnel) still expects a public IPv4 on the WAN side and isn't DS-Lite compatible (you can't just have a native IPv6 on the WAN side without IPv4 as far as I can tell and it doesn't have B4 functionality).