cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6, Faster upload speeds, Upgrade to hub 5

LiamG91
On our wavelength

Is there any information on when Virgin will be releasing IPV6? I've been searching the Internet and there's nothing other than from November where it says VM are working on it.

Also when are Virgin gonna catch up with the FTTP companies and upgrade our upload speeds to over 100mbps at least and upgrade the upload to docsis 3.1.

Also, I'm on the 1gb broadband package and I've not had a sniff of an invite to upgrade to the hub 5. How can one procure one of these without waiting for an age to be invited?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

@LiamG91 OK then, in order;

VM have been working on IPv6 for about ten years now, so really, don't hold your breath.

Upload speeds on DOCSIS is a bit of an issue. it really is not as simple as you might think, and it will be quite expensive for VM to do - if there is no massive demand for it, then they are really not going to invest too much time and money into doing it.

You don't. Currently the Hub 5 isn't compatible with the wifi pods which as a Gig One subscriber, you would be entitled to (plus it doesn't work with the land line provision either). If and when these issues are addressed then, possibly it will be offered to customers on the Gig One tier.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They could go to 6 instead of 4 upstream channels with 3.1, but no sign of it. I would not expect IP V6 until VM go FTTP and remove DOCSIS.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

All what I am asking for. VM shut their ears and do no demand when many of us are screaming for more upload.

I run the hub 4 in modem mode no pods phone etc. So a hub 5 shouldn't be an issue.

As for IPV6, VM haven't got a clue. I get the feeling that they saw the pushback against DS-Lite and put a proper dual stack in too difficult  bucket.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

If there were sufficient demand for higher bandwidth, VM would have found a way of making it happen because it's another service they could sell on a tiered speed basis.  Evidently the cost of doing that is greater than the revenues expected from the number of customers willing to pay the necessary extra costs, and I can't say I'm surprised.  We'd all like faster upload, few of us need it, and fewer still would pay the costs of providing it.

Likely you'll see change on both IPv6 and symmetrical upload with XGS-PON, but unless you're in the handful of test deployments then you're probably looking at 2026-7 before commercial deployment starts, and even that's (a) optimistic because the announcement about PON didn't appear to include funding for the drop links to individual properties, and (b) even when that happens it would be phased slowly across VM's 5m customers over a number of years. 

For most people, better upload/download ratios and IPv6 will be available through Openreach or Altnet FTTP long before VM offer it, and that's not because VM are lazy or reluctant, it's just an unfortunate outcome of the origins and architecture of DOCSIS and the unfavourable economics of changing an analogue RF infrastructure that has achieved remarkable things, but is now unavoidably on the edge of obsolescence.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM is a commercial business and until the bean counters can see profits in going to IP V6 it’s not going to happen. A lot of people might like to have it, but that’s not a compelling reason for VM to implement it. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Right now, there is absolutely no profit motive, nor indeed incentive for VM to deploy IPv6.

Look, here's my standard question about this, and be honest, if VM were to deploy dual-stack IPv6 tomorrow, in what way would that improve your, and indeed the bulk of VM's customers in any practical manner?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

<snip>.   if VM were to deploy dual-stack IPv6 tomorrow, in what way would that improve your, and indeed the bulk of VM's customers in any practical manner?

Trouble free multiple Xbox console gaming without the hassle of port forwarding….  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks