cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was promised that I would get money towards canncelling my broadband with vodafone if I signed up

asilvie93
Tuning in

Hi I am to get connected to Virgins WiFi today and as a sign up offer I was promised Virgin would sort cancelling my current plan with Vodafone and contribute £100 to any fees . I have had no word of this since nor have I received any money towards cancelling my self.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There have been a couple of threads where new customers have said they were 'promised' help towards the cancellation fees, as far as I know this isn't something that VM offer and can't recall off-hand anyone reporting that they actually received anything.

Now if a bona-fide representative of VM made such an offer and you relied on it, then legally VM are obliged to honour it (although technically they could decline to offer the service to you entirely), but the problem will be providing evidence - if you have anything in writing, an email or screen shot of a text conversation, that'll go a long way. Otherwise, alas, it's your word against theirs.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi I hope you got the name of the person that "promised" this as it sounds highly unlikely. Regards Micky

There have been a couple of threads where new customers have said they were 'promised' help towards the cancellation fees, as far as I know this isn't something that VM offer and can't recall off-hand anyone reporting that they actually received anything.

Now if a bona-fide representative of VM made such an offer and you relied on it, then legally VM are obliged to honour it (although technically they could decline to offer the service to you entirely), but the problem will be providing evidence - if you have anything in writing, an email or screen shot of a text conversation, that'll go a long way. Otherwise, alas, it's your word against theirs.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @asilvie93

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you received any evidence surrounding this? Is the discount or anything promised stated on your contract etc and who informed you around this?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Z92
Trouble shooter

The only time I've ever heard of this was in marketing speak, as in, someone knocked on my front door and said they could get me £250 off my VM bills if I signed up there and then. I declined, but asked how much it would be per month, £35 they said.

Usual price £49 * 18 = £882.

Their price £35 * 18 = £630

£252 cheaper, so not technically incorrect.

However, I got it for £25 online, so technically I saved £432...

So read your contract and see if you are getting a monthly discount that equals that figure...

Hi, 

There is an 18 mo th discount so that maybe it ? 

Hi , 

No physical or digital proof of this . All I recall is the lady was called Sue . I know that's not helpful but I still have her number but I won't post it here.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @asilvie93,

Thanks for coming back to us. 

As there's no documentation, if you wouldn't mind reaching out to them, they should be able to send you something for this credit. 

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Option 1) Chalk it up to experience, and remember never to trust the words of a salesman. 

Option 2) VM record many calls, but won't say whether they record all sales calls.  You could make a Subject Access Request for all call recordings they have referring to you, but that can take up to 30 days.  If there's a recording that backs your recollection, they will have to honour that, because any promises made by a company rep, that you rely on when entering a contract are binding, and form part of the contract whether written or spoken.

Option 3) Phone and cancel your VM contract since you've got a 14 day cooling off period, starting from the day the service is connected.  When you get through to the team who'll deal with cancellations, they'll want to know why.  Tell them (politely) and explain you'll happily continue with the contract, but only if they credit your account with however much "puts you right".  Since these staff are also on commission, there's still an incentive to say anything to get a particular outcome, so you may want to investigate means of recording the call - if doing that, do some tests beforehand to make sure the method you use works and provides audible recordings.  Obviously if they say "no, can't do that" then you need to decide whether you will follow through and cancel.