cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a wall socket fitting.

eggnostriva
Joining in

As above. I don't have the requisite wall socket for my virgin router.

12 REPLIES 12

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

no box  outside

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@eggnostriva wrote:

no box  outside

Is VM broadband actually installed at the Property? It should have an outside omnibox if it is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Apparently not, which makes me wonder why they sent out a self install kit. Cant talk to anyone at virgin.

a self install is only sent out if the property has had an install in the past - VM have no idea if the wiring still exists or has been removed or damaged

what is the property - if its a house then there should be an external box although there are examples on here where the cable was fed through the external wall and there than may or not be an internal wall box - in some instances its just a cable internally

flats and apartments can be all manor of things - the wiring can be internal fed from an internal point or there can be one external wall box with cables feeding more than one flat

so a bit more info may help - other than that VM will get to the thread in a day or few and look at things

Tony.
Sacked VIP

It is a 1971 bungalow. There is no box outside and no cable inside, just a bt socket.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe the previous owner removed it all. Is there any Catv covers on the footpath ? It’s a small covered box where the cables are pulled to before going to the property. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I need to book an engineer to come and fit a socket. If you could advise me how I can do that, \\i would be very grateful.

0345 454 1111 or wait here for VM - if you have no external box then it could be far more complicated than just fitting an internal wall socket - it will need a cable from the cabinet to the front of the house

its worth investigating further - is there a cable entry point on the pavement in front of the property - small triangular or rectangular cover - if so is there a cable coming from it across your garden

Tony.
Sacked VIP