cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m a new customer and requested new cable line as previous property owner cut cable and got this:

savvy111
Tuning in

The old virgin media cable (one I’ve never used) was semi buried in the grass in the front garden.  I took the plunge and signed up for virgin as I can’t get sky fibre in my area. I called several times days before the installation date to advise I paid the additional £30 for install as I require a new line. The Ervin in the pre install team assured me the message will be passed to the engineer. So i took the morning off work and he arrived to do a “basic install”.  I.e drill into the living room and done. But when I said I needed a new line with conduit the best he could offer me was to get me up and running by connecting the old line. Now I have this exposed unsightly connection in my front garden and I’m  unable to mow the lawn.  It’s ridiculous! 
It could corrode in the rain or anyone could just disconnect it  

can someone please advise on best next steps I should take? As I feel like just cancelling the whole contract to be honest. 

0808D0C6-00F1-4207-B742-BC28262DB977.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That is a satisfactory repair as far as broadband operation is concerned, but clearly it's not a satisfactory way of leaving the cable.  I also don't think you should have had to pay the £30.

Are you still within the 14 day startup period? If so, ring the customer service line. Take the options for "thinking of leaving us", and tell them you will be cancelling unless they get the cable properly re-run to your satisfaction. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That is a satisfactory repair as far as broadband operation is concerned, but clearly it's not a satisfactory way of leaving the cable.  I also don't think you should have had to pay the £30.

Are you still within the 14 day startup period? If so, ring the customer service line. Take the options for "thinking of leaving us", and tell them you will be cancelling unless they get the cable properly re-run to your satisfaction. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Agree with comments from jpeg1. If it was a 'get-you-working' installation, the connectors should have been protected with a gel box as per the (rather mashed up) example below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Damaged-Cable-Repair/td-p/4931411

Is the VM service you have got with this lash-up working OK?

VM are probably unlikley to leap into action and fit a new cable before your 14 day cooling off period is up.

If the service is working OK you could maybe keep on going with a joined (and boxed) repair while you wait for VM to provide you with a new cable which is properly installed. The length of that wait though could be any amount of time ranging from days to weeks or months.

At the moment you have some limited leverage while you are within the 14 day cooling off period.

savvy111
Tuning in

Hi thank you both the replies. Yes it is working at the moment but I’ve yet to give it a proper load test with all the IOT etc as my network is currently running off the sky modem. I was planning to have it swapped very soon but now in 2minds. 

I will call customer service on Monday and see where we go from there. I will also be requesting a refund of the £30. Let’s see what happens. 

VM should get the joint protected with a gel pack. What you can then do is to dig a shallow trench and bury the cable, don't worry about it as you will know where it is and as it's exterior grade cable it will be fine.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks roger gooner, but the surfaced cable runs across approx 5meters on top of the lawn. Also I shouldn’t need to purchase a gel box to  bury the connection. After being it being agreed with Virgin. 

I’m just frustrated that after spending hours on hold to many different departments to put in the request to have a new line and have it buried, Have it all approved and then left with this mess. I’m just not best pleased. 

I didn't say that you have to purchase the gel pack, it's VM's responsibility to use it to protect the cable joint.

As for burying the cable: I'm being realistic in that it could be a lot quicker than getting VM to do this. Good luck.

--

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A Gel pack is for a PERMINANT REPAIR, for a temporary repair it's okay to leave the connectors as is without a gel pack

The technician has done exactly what he is supposed to do is to get you up and running on the day and booking the required steps to get a permanent fix

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As I said at the beginning.  But we know what happens with VM's temporary fixes.  They tend to stay that way until the customer makes a great deal of fuss.  The OP has the opportunity at the moment, within the 14 day period if it hasn't already expired.

- jpeg1

Why cancel a service which is working? I suspect that VM will do nothing until a fault is reported, in which case a proper repair or a new cable will be required.

--