cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a broadband kit but no VM box on wall

avmad
Tuning in

Hi all,

I just collected my broadband kit.  However, I don't have anything on my internal wall that looks like the Virgin box.  I do however have an NTL box with a twin cable coming out of it.  This cable terminates in two of the push fit (satellite-like but not screwed) connectors.  Should I be connecting one of these to my new VM router?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Julian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@avmad  this NTL box (which was one of the companies which merged with enough to become Virgin Media - you really don’t want the hear the convoluted history), does it have two connections labeled TV and FM by any chance? If so it is the TV one you need to connect to - for reasons which are far too boring and technical and historical to go into now…

The older style connections were screw fit but the newer cables are push fit but are designed to be able to be ‘pushed’ onto the screw fit connector (no, no idea why they decided to change it, but whatever).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

carl_pearce
Community elder

@avmad wrote:

Hi all,

I just collected my broadband kit.  However, I don't have anything on my internal wall that looks like the Virgin box.  I do however have an NTL box with a twin cable coming out of it.  This cable terminates in two of the push fit (satellite-like but not screwed) connectors.  Should I be connecting one of these to my new VM router?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Julian

Could you post a photo?

@avmad  this NTL box (which was one of the companies which merged with enough to become Virgin Media - you really don’t want the hear the convoluted history), does it have two connections labeled TV and FM by any chance? If so it is the TV one you need to connect to - for reasons which are far too boring and technical and historical to go into now…

The older style connections were screw fit but the newer cables are push fit but are designed to be able to be ‘pushed’ onto the screw fit connector (no, no idea why they decided to change it, but whatever).

msg904593268-85190.jpg

msg904593268-85191.jpg

Apologies for the ugly formatting.

No identification of FM vs TV.  The NTL box is screwed together with no easy access to the box end of the cables.

@avmad wrote:

msg904593268-85190.jpg

msg904593268-85191.jpg

Apologies for the ugly formatting.

No identification of FM vs TV.  The NTL box is screwed together with no easy access to the box end of the cables.

One of the threaded cables will screw directly into the back of the HUB.

Looks more like a satellite installer has used the VM hole to install their service.

OP: Undo the screws on that NTL box and take a pic of the inside, please.

Oh boy.  This twin cable comes from the roof somewhere goes into the house and into the 'NTL box' with no terminations at all.

Confused...

This is the inside of the box in the houseThis is the inside of the box in the houseThis is a mass of wired to the left of where the twin white wires enter the houseThis is a mass of wired to the left of where the twin white wires enter the houseThis is a pic of the outside of the house, showing the twin white wire disappearing up the side of the house to the roofThis is a pic of the outside of the house, showing the twin white wire disappearing up the side of the house to the roof

@avmad wrote:

Oh boy.  This twin cable comes from the roof somewhere goes into the house and into the 'NTL box' with no terminations at all.

Confused...

This is the inside of the box in the houseThis is the inside of the box in the houseThis is a mass of wired to the left of where the twin white wires enter the houseThis is a mass of wired to the left of where the twin white wires enter the houseThis is a pic of the outside of the house, showing the twin white wire disappearing up the side of the house to the roofThis is a pic of the outside of the house, showing the twin white wire disappearing up the side of the house to the roof

As per @Jonny-M's comment then. Sky engineers have replaced VM cabling with their own.

VM wouldn't have known this, hence allowing the self install.

BTW - you can just see a black twin cable going from the open metal box on the left to where the white cable enteres the house.  That black cable is cut before it enters the house, so that stuff on the left of the image is irrelevant

@avmad wrote:

BTW - you can just see a black twin cable going from the open metal box on the left to where the white cable enteres the house.  That black cable is cut before it enters the house, so that stuff on the left of the image is irrelevant

The stuff on the left (black cable) is the VM cabling... which would have been cut by the Sky engineers.

You'll need an engineer visit to re-run the cut cable.