Menu
Colonel-Mustard
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I didn't get the Splitter or the Isolator cable in the box with my V6 kit, do I need them?.

Hi,

My self install V6 box and Hub3 modem arrived today but I didn't get the Splitter or the Isolator cable in the box with my V6 kit.

Do I need the new Splitter and the Isolator cable to get my V6 box and Hub3 modem to work?.

What does the Isolator cable do?, is it just a surge protection or something else? as I already fitted a SAC electronics AE9700 Surge Protector between the wall box and the old metal splitter myself.

I have the old metal splitter that I used on my V+ Box, are they basically the same or is the new splitter different?.

Also none of my cable wall box connections have push fit connections (they are all threaded) will this be a problem or not?, I mean I can connect everything up right now using my old cables and my old metal splitter, but obviously it would be minus the new splitter and the Isolator cable.

I don't want to activate the V6 kit and find out that it doesn't work and lose my Internet access, because if I activate it and it doesn't work I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to just plug my old cable modem back in and get it working again considering a different modem would of been activated on my account.

Also is it correct that the Scart connector on the back of the V6 box has been deactivated?, (presumably the USB port has been as well?) as I could of done with using the Scart connection with the main TV set that I was still going to be using for now, although I do have a old smaller HD TV set that I can connect to the V6 box via HDMI.

Any help appreciated as it's been a funny day today, I'm very tired, my mobile phone just decided it wont send texts any more this morning so I can't even text "GO" to activate my V6 kit now Smiley Frustrated I do realise that I can call them up and do it, but a simple "Go" text would of been easier.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: I didn't get the Splitter or the Isolator cable in the box with my V6 kit, do I need them?.

Sorry I can't help, but as I read similar questions I would like to ask you and others "Do not VM put instructions in with the Kits?"

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: I didn't get the Splitter or the Isolator cable in the box with my V6 kit, do I need them?.

what have they sent - a V6 it seems and a hub3 - forgetting the V6 for a moment what hub do you have now and what speed are you on - if you have a SH2 and 200 then put the hub3 to one side and connect the V6 with the splitter you have now and the cables you have

afaik they insist on sending a hub3 for a V6 and again afaik its not needed unless you are going to 350

so if you are just adding the V6 - use it with your existing kit

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Colonel-Mustard wrote:

Hi,

My self install V6 box and Hub3 modem arrived today but I didn't get the Splitter or the Isolator cable in the box with my V6 kit.

Do I need the new Splitter and the Isolator cable to get my V6 box and Hub3 modem to work?.

Umm kind of. You need A splitter and AN Isolator cable.

What does the Isolator cable do?, is it just a surge protection or something else? as I already fitted a SAC electronics AE9700 Surge Protector between the wall box and the old metal splitter myself.

Its an isolator not a surge protector. But you can use the OLD splitter, provided you have an isolator.

I have the old metal splitter that I used on my V+ Box, are they basically the same or is the new splitter different?.

Nope. Likely a different brand, but do the same job.

Also none of my cable wall box connections have push fit connections (they are all threaded) will this be a problem or not?, I mean I can connect everything up right now using my old cables and my old metal splitter, but obviously it would be minus the new splitter and the Isolator cable.

You want an Isolator between V6 and wall outlet.

I don't want to activate the V6 kit and find out that it doesn't work and lose my Internet access, because if I activate it and it doesn't work I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to just plug my old cable modem back in and get it working again considering a different modem would of been activated on my account.

Modem and V6 aren't tied. You can upgrade your HUB to HUB3 and your internet will work fine, worst case scenario the V6 doesn't work

Also is it correct that the Scart connector on the back of the V6 box has been deactivated?, (presumably the USB port has been as well?) as I could of done with using the Scart connection with the main TV set that I was still going to be using for now, although I do have a old smaller HD TV set that I can connect to the V6 box via HDMI.

Yes the SCART port on V6 is deactivated. As for the older smaller TV having HDMI and the newer bigger one only having SCART, thats odd in the extreme. You bought an HD TV and later on bought a bigger SD one? How did you even find one? Check the new, bigger TV it SHOULD have an HDMI port.

Any help appreciated as it's been a funny day today, I'm very tired, my mobile phone just decided it wont send texts any more this morning so I can't even text "GO" to activate my V6 kit now Smiley Frustrated I do realise that I can call them up and do it, but a simple "Go" text would of been easier.

Not on O2 by any chance? Mines been playing silly boogers all day.

Colonel-Mustard
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

yes they do, just not the Isolator or the Splitter it seems!.

The instructions all seem pretty simple, but not much use if I really do need an Isolator.

0 Kudos
Colonel-Mustard
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have the hub1 and the lady that I 1st spoke to just told me that I would need the hub3 for the V6 to work.

My account says that I have

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

are you sure its a SH1 - that only supports 100 - i can reverse the question if you have a SH1 are you sure you are on 150

Tony
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You dont NEED an isolator, perfectly possible to set it up without. AN isolator in V6 context kills the return path, reducing any noise ingress to VM's network.

Under the circumstances I would do the install and activation, then ring in an advise you need an isolator cable. Or wait for staff to pick it up on here (around a week)

TBF, you've said you can connect it all up with the current cables. Any F-type to coax supplied by VM is likely to be an isolator anyway so getting a new one is likely "belt and braces" . But we like belt and braces, it stops issues before they start.

Colonel-Mustard
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OMG I just hit the back button and all that I wrote is gone!, I just finished it as well, like I said.. a funny day!, sorry I'm way to tired to write it all out again but thanks for all of the great info.

Just an old HD TV I meant, a friend was going to chuck it out as the free view tuner in it died so I got it instead of the bin.

My old SD TV has a great picture quality for a SD TV though, built in DTS etc Panasonic TX36PB50 -100Hz Widescreen Television

Panasonic TX36PB50 Reviews

Yes, rented from O2 anyway, I still can't send a text, I stopped trying after I realised that they were still charging me for every failed text and some of them were long! Grrr, it cost me pounds, oddly or not my spell checker died on it at the same time and I checked that it's not off!... Russian hackers? lol

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Colonel-Mustard wrote:

OMG I just hit the back button and all that I wrote is gone!, I just finished it as well, like I said.. a funny day!, sorry I'm way to tired to write it all out again but thanks for all of the great info.

Just an old HD TV I meant, a friend was going to chuck it out as the free view tuner in it died so I got it instead of the bin.

My old SD TV has a great picture quality for a SD TV though, built in DTS etc Panasonic TX36PB50 -100Hz Widescreen Television

Panasonic TX36PB50 Reviews

Yes, rented from O2 anyway, I still can't send a text, I stopped trying after I realised that they were still charging me for every failed text and some of them were long! Grrr, it cost me pounds, oddly or not my spell checker died on it at the same time and I checked that it's not off!... Russian hackers? lol

If only it WERE hackers- instead simple ineptitude. They (allegedly)  installed a firmware upgrade to some nodes without proper testing.

https://status.o2.co.uk/

VM would never do such a thing (sic)

AS for the telly, LOL, I get it now, I had one of those back in the day and was loathe to part with it, really good set. Used  for gaming even when it was decommissioned from the front room as herself wanted a modern thinner set. Good response time and it could match the 60Hz the Ninty Game Cube could put out....