cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I beg someone to fix my latency (2month issue)

Quinnaay
Tuning in

I’ve had massive ping spikes and packet loss for 2 months now, I’ve had 3 engineers over the months one of which is today as you can see the red packet loss line when my power was off. My PS5 which is 2 ft away from my router hardwired is unusable. I’m getting download speed fine however it’s all over the place.  Please can someone help? I’ll post my stats below

119 REPLIES 119

I am sorry for that, as per my colleagues' PM with you, it maybe the best offer due to the situation. Best 

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Quinnaay So, seems that you've got the crunch - VM either know what the problem is and won't fix it, or it's an erratic Completely Beyond Us (CBU) fault, and they've given up. 

Reading between the lines: You've presumably been offered release from contract without penalty (or just "go away if you don't like it" should you be out of contract), and you aren't happy with that, presumably because there's no fast Openreach connection.

If that's a fair summary, is it feasible to get a cheap Openreach connection for latency specific uses, say a 17-35 Mbps connection depending on distance from the cabinet, for around a quid a day?  That's any gaming needs or remote work connections sorted.  Then look at seeing if the VM retentions team can offer you a very keen price on (say) a 500 M or 1 Gbps connection for any heavy lifting, if that speed is really essential?  As you've found, raw bandwidth is not the only thing that counts.

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest you look for a generous helping of compensation from VM - it's not acceptable in this day and age to either over-subscribe your own network and then make that the customer's problem, nor to invoke CBU.  VM will not proactively offer compo and will just point to the automatic compensation scheme which doesn't cover this at all, so you're looking at a formal complaint.  That formal complaint will certainly be fobbed off, but it's a necessity before you take the matter to CISAS.  If going down this route you'd be asking CISAS for compensation for months of the poor quality connection, being given the run around by the company's customer support for months, and poor complaint handling.  This will be a slow exercise, but well worth it.

Thanks mate the secondary broadband is an option and something I’ve been considering but £28 for 28mb is abit sickening. I’ll pursue the compensation as I do believe I should have plenty to come.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Quinnaay, 

We would be happy to look in to your request further. 

When you are next available, please do pop my colleague a message over and we can proceed from there. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Okay so I’ve had shocking latency for over 6 months and almost washed my hands with it. However I’ve noticed from this point in I’ve had superb latency, my router went off by itself, and I’m wanting to know if any work was carried out in my area on this date or if it’s just coincidental. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Quinnaay,

I'm sorry this issue is ongoing. I can see that a member of our team has provided a resolution, when you get a chance, please send a message back to my colleague so we can proceed from there. 

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I’m assuming you haven’t read my message. I’m saying that since the date provided above my latency looks fixed. I’m wanting to know if this was due to some work you’ve carried out or something coincidental to try figure out it doesn’t happen again.

We've taken a look at your account but can't see any specific notes as to work completed in your area. There may have been some background network work completed but these aren't always noted.

We're glad to hear this has now been resolved though, monitor it going forward and let us know if you need us again in the future.

Rob

Hi my latency is much improved, as mentioned bizarrely. However the last few days I’ve had really bad packet loss. Please see the 3 below screenshots

Hi Quinnaay, thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear of your packet loss.  We've had a look at our system from our side.  We cannot find anything that explains this.  Have things improved over the weekend?  Have you tried a pinhole reset of your hub, as per here?  It takes your hub back to factory settings, but clears most issues.  Please only try this, if you can still fully see, your default WiFi password on your hub.

Regards

Lee_R