cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 multiple site access issues with "native" IP address

glint36
Tuning in

I recently got upgraded to Hub3 as Volt client.

I set up Hub3 - WiFi and Ethernet seems to be fine BUT I now lost access to many sites from my browser, such as:

• bbc.co.uk
  • skysports.com
  • amazon.co.uk
  • instagram
  • (and I am sure I can find other sites)

The browser (Chrome) just times out.

On other sites, things are VERY slow or not working either:

• YouTube buffers for up to 20 seconds before a video loads
  • Google Play Store doesn't let me update the apps (times out) on Android phones

Extra information:

• the above problem exists on my desktop (connected via Cat6 cable to Hub 3) AND on my WiFi connections.
  • It has *nothing* to do with the WiFi configuration.
  • But if I turn on my VPN on my desktop (or phones) EVERYTHING works just fine.
  • Pinging amazon.co.uk gets replies both with native IP address and when connected via VPN. But native round trip times are 22ms whilst it's only 8ms via VPN.

I spent an hour talking to tech support people/customer service people on the phone but they seem totally helpless (e.g. customer service, tech support, tech support level 2). They run a test which tells that the Hub is working, WiFi is working and that's about all they can say even though I described them all of the above. 

So I am stuck -- got an upgrade that created problems I never had before.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I suspect that someone from Networks (meaning not a tech) has to look at this as the IP addresses are generated by the DHCP server at the hub site, and hopefully a Forum team member can assist.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Put the hub into modem mode. Does your PC work well? And what speeds do you get?

--

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to offer kind advice.  I have just noticed that all of the above problems disappeared. 🤔

I have done nothing. Someone in tech support earlier this week told me that my problems could be sorted once VM switches my IP to a new address. But the IP address is the same as before.

I can only assume that someone *knowledgeable* at VM saw this post and "made the issue disappear" after a few magic keystrokes. I assume I will never know what it was but hopefully this issue is closed, and my source of aggro is gone 😃.

I will post if it re-appears. 

And... the problem is back! This is beyond odd!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the suggestion by @Roger_Gooner i.e. Modem mode.  This will give you a different WAN IP address, same as using a VPN.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK. Now I have tried that @Roger_Gooner suggestion. Indeed, the IP address has changed to a new one, and all the issues went away. 

I switched back to the router mode, my IP address returned back to the old address, and all the issues reappeared. Not sure where to go from here -- I have tons of devices connected to my router so I can't stay in the modem mode for too long.

I suspect that someone from Networks (meaning not a tech) has to look at this as the IP addresses are generated by the DHCP server at the hub site, and hopefully a Forum team member can assist.

--

I will call Virgin Media again and ask them to refer it to the Networks people. A bit disappointing that one has to seek expert help outside the provider. At least I am *very glad* that you are to assist on the forums. 

Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

Do not call as the agent won't understand, wait for a forum team member.

--