cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 Solid Red Led Light no internet connection

Menorthern
On our wavelength

Hi, 

I am having an issue with my Hub3 in modem only mode, it has been working fine in its current location but today has now stopped working and is showing a solid Red Led on the front.

I have run the online tests via my iPhone which all say the Hub3 is working correctly, but I have no connection to the internet via my LAN network. The router I have connected to the Hub3 show an external IP address but no internet access.

The information on the forums seems to suggest the unit has over heated and stopped  working, but this only happened late in the day.

I have rebooted both a number of time but still no change, I have had a similar issue before when I was using a Hub3 as the router and the engineer who came out advised I had “burned the unit out due to very high use / constant high traffic”.Then then advised (after installing a new Hub3) I would be better to use it in modem only and use a 3rd party router, which has now worked fine since.

If this is indeed the same issue please can you arrange a replacement, or better to be sent out to my home as this will be the 4 or 5 unit that’s failed since having a Hub3 installed. 

45 REPLIES 45

Hi David,

The Hub was also showing online to your office last night but still with no internet connection or a IP address. 

I tried to connect until 10.30pm last night and again from 7.00am to 8.00am this morning again with no luck. This was all done via WiFi as without moving my PC next to the hub I am unable to try this. logging in to the hub while at home it is not showing an external IP address even after your office saying it was online and he could see it. 

Also am I lead to believe the Hub 2ac is a better unit then the new Hub 3 as this is what has been supplied as my “new” hub? 

I will try moving my PC tonight to try connecting via LAN but as the hub was not showing an external IP address last night I did not see the point at the time….

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You really need to post your power levels and network log.  Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once this is done, we can comment.

Also it would be worth while to buy a long premade Cat 6 cable to reach from your PC to the Hub for temporary testing, as VM do not recognise wifi test for troubleshooting.

The Hub 2ac is older than the Hub 3 and does not support the higher speed tiers, but apart from this they are fairly similar.  I believe there is a shortage of Hub 3's so they are recycling the older Hub 2ac's.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Menorthern
On our wavelength

As this is the first time I have been asked for this information I will look in to doing this when I’m home from work if the local outage advised for today has been fixed. Also would I not need a internet connection to my PC to setup the BQM? 

Moving the PC in the short term is going to be cheaper than buying a 20mt plus Cat6 lead which I will have no use for once the connection is working and I don’t think Virgin will cover this cost?

As I have been issued the hub 2ac will this support my 350 connection speed? 

As I have been issued the hub 2ac will this support my 350 connection speed?

Not reliably, no.  The SH2ac is a six year old relic and was always replaced by a Hub 3 for customer on 300+ speeds.  What's more, all SH2ac and earlier hubs were all slated for replacement because they use fewer channels which makes them more prone to network congestion faults.

The reason you've got this second-or-more-hand antique is because VM have somehow screwed up supply of new hubs, and are reduced to pulling returned hubs out of the skip, polishing any stains off them and re-issuing them.  You might be forgiven for making certain assumptions about how valuable your custom is to the company.

Thank you for you reply Andrew, can I get an official response to this from the Virgin Media team as it would seem I’m being fogged off with old equipment which will not give me the full and stable use of the connection I’m paying for while not currently having any connection.

I though this was why I was issued with the Hub 3 when I upgraded.

Hey @Menorthern,

I have looked into your account and can see that the local area fault has been resolved and I think that we may need to send an engineer out to look into this further for you, if the work on the network hasn't helped you.

Please let us know if you need any further help with this.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven, 

yes, please can you confirm that I will not have any issue at all using the new issued “old” hub 2ac with my 350 connection speed as I don’t want to go thought the whole set up to still have issues and also will I be getting a discount on my account for not being able to use the service I’m meant to be receiving for the past week (so far)

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us @Menorthern 

The hub 2AC is capable of supporting 350mb.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Funny how VM used to insist on replacing SH2ac's for customers on speeds over M200.  Obviously as the SH2ac has aged in the caring hands of other customers it has improved, like a mature cheese and become more capable. 

Maybe in a year or four old Hub 3's can be pressed back into service for Gig 1 customers.

Since when has the SH2ac been regraded for use on M350 service?
When I did the speed trials using the SH2ac it just ran out of steam, Hub 3 then was instigated as use for services in excess of 200Mb ie 350Mb and above (excluding 600Mb)