cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 Solid Red Led Light no internet connection

Menorthern
On our wavelength

Hi, 

I am having an issue with my Hub3 in modem only mode, it has been working fine in its current location but today has now stopped working and is showing a solid Red Led on the front.

I have run the online tests via my iPhone which all say the Hub3 is working correctly, but I have no connection to the internet via my LAN network. The router I have connected to the Hub3 show an external IP address but no internet access.

The information on the forums seems to suggest the unit has over heated and stopped  working, but this only happened late in the day.

I have rebooted both a number of time but still no change, I have had a similar issue before when I was using a Hub3 as the router and the engineer who came out advised I had “burned the unit out due to very high use / constant high traffic”.Then then advised (after installing a new Hub3) I would be better to use it in modem only and use a 3rd party router, which has now worked fine since.

If this is indeed the same issue please can you arrange a replacement, or better to be sent out to my home as this will be the 4 or 5 unit that’s failed since having a Hub3 installed. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

As I have been issued the hub 2ac will this support my 350 connection speed?

Not reliably, no.  The SH2ac is a six year old relic and was always replaced by a Hub 3 for customer on 300+ speeds.  What's more, all SH2ac and earlier hubs were all slated for replacement because they use fewer channels which makes them more prone to network congestion faults.

The reason you've got this second-or-more-hand antique is because VM have somehow screwed up supply of new hubs, and are reduced to pulling returned hubs out of the skip, polishing any stains off them and re-issuing them.  You might be forgiven for making certain assumptions about how valuable your custom is to the company.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Menorthern
On our wavelength

Well after an hour on the phone to technical support trying to get reconnected and as the previous comments have noted the old Hub 2ac will not work on a 350mb connection……

The guy I was speaking to went over and above to help and get me connected tried to get the 2ac work which after speaking with his manager they worked out it was not going to work, lucky I had not returned the faulty hub 3 which he was able to reconnect to get me some sort of connection back. He’s requested a “New Hub 3” be issued which means waiting again until I can get my full paid for service back.

Again I ask the Virgin Media team on here will I be compensated for the loss of my paid service?

@Menorthern Again I ask the Virgin Media team on here will I be compensated for the loss of my paid service?

Raise a formal complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media asking for compensation for the poor connection, the runaround from support, and anything else you think relevant.  Write out fully in a Word-type programme so that you've got a record, so that you can consider and review it, and so that the MVM session doesn't time out before you press "submit".  Expect the complaint to be handled with the same quality and consistency as VM's first line customer service, but it really doesn't matter what outcome you get.  If VM pony up to your satisfaction, then all well and good.  If not, regardless of what they say or do, you escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  

The staff here may be able to intervene before that and sort out an amicable resolution before you get to a CISAS escalation.  If they can, that's quicker and easier, but not a reason to accept a sub-par settlement.

45 REPLIES 45

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Menorthern,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your router lately. Have you checked our Service Status page to see if there are any known area impacting faults that may explain this? You can also check to see what the lights mean on your router here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Menorthern
On our wavelength

Hi Zach,

Service in my area is showing “No issues” and the LED showing Red only tells me the hub is/was hot.

I’ve had the hub off for over an hour and switching it back on its still showing Red / to hot. 

Hi @Menorthern,

Thank you for confirming. Have you ensured it's in an open area where the vents aren't covered and it isn't close to another potential source of heat?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Menorthern
On our wavelength

Hi Zach,

Yes, not covered or near other items, been in the same place with no issues near a window out of direct sun light.

Currently having intermittent access comes back for a few minutes then goes off again. Red light still on. 

I’m also unable to login to the Hub via the default 192.168.100.1 as noted to view the information within it

Try a pinhole reset to force any updates.  Press and hold reset button on back for 15 seconds then release for 5.  Repeat this 3 times and wait 10 mins for it to load back up.  If it works it may only be a temp fix, but will get you by until someone can come out.  Out of interest when they swaped the previous hubs, did they also swap the PSU?

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

No they only swapped the Hub over and installed a inline filter to the cable on the back of the hub.

Just wondering if the PSU is faulty and burning the hub out.  I've never known one to go due to excessive use haha.  Low levels possibly but not usage 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

I’m only repeating what the Virgin engineer told me, I only use it have know ideas how it all works 🤣 all I know is this will be number 4 I’ve had issues with. They did replace everything before just the last time was only the hub due to the short amount of time from there last visit as it was the same engineer that came out which is when I was told I was running it to hard 🤷🏻.

All I know is I’m having issues again and would just like it to work as intended so having no internet stops being my issue at home. 

Thank you for the update @Menorthern.

Have you been able to perform the reboot as suggested by @Richw1982. Is the issue ongoing?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs