Menu
mrenigma
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 Lied too again

I have had many issues in the past, went from V100 to V200 free when I was having serious speed issues back in 2016. They sent me a Hub3 back then but quickly found it was rubbish because I could not change the internal IP to 192.168.1.x as all my home network is on this range. I promptly switched back to the hub2 which was fine and I still got the speed increase.

A few days ago I came to review my BB cost and found I had been upgraded to V350, great I thought , however I was still only getting 220ish down but 20ish up.

Spoke to someone on the phone and the guy explained I need to be on a hub3, I explained I don't have the hub3 in place due to its limitations back in 2016. I asked if the new hub3 limitation on changing the IP range sorted now so I could use it, I was told yes, I could change the IP range (I even asked about 192.168.1.1)

Well, the new hub3 arrived and it is STILL rubbish...

You can change the IP range from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.x.x (BUT not 192.168.1.x) apparently this is reserved and the hub wont allow it. I did some research and its reserved for the guest wifi but I don't want the guest wifi (its disabled anyway).

So blatantly lied too again.

It also looks like it is a return because its dirty in places you wouldn't expect for new.

So its now looking like I need to shell out more cash for a real router that does what I need

This is a known issues with the limitation apparently but after 2 years you would expect better???

I now have 2 hub3's sitting here that are rubbish

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 Lied too again

Hi mrenigma,

We operate on a sticky dynamic IP, we or you cannot change them I am afraid. 

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Joe_F wrote:

Hi mrenigma,

We operate on a sticky dynamic IP, we or you cannot change them I am afraid. 

Thanks Joe_F

the OP is talking about the internal LAN IP DHCP range, NOT the external IP address! Smiley Frustrated

Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@mrenigma wrote:

You can change the IP range from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.x.x (BUT not 192.168.1.x) apparently this is reserved and the hub wont allow it. I did some research and its reserved for the guest wifi but I don't want the guest wifi (its disabled anyway).

Not having a Hub 3 myself I have no idea if this will work, but it's what I had to do with the Superhub 2ac to get it to change the LAN IP range.  It had to be done in two stages.  If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) firstly you change the IP to 192.168.1.20 This pushed the reserved guest IPs up and out of the way.  Then reboot and go back and change the IP to 192.168.1.1

As I say it worked for the 2ac but I have no idea if it will on the Hub 3.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
mrenigma
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

does not work

on my hub2 I could do that but you cannot use 192.168.1.x

forced to used 192.168.anythig other than 1

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

ISP supplied routers are limited devices, and we shouldn't expect them to do anything other than what they are set to do out the box.

for anything other than "stock" configs your own router is the way to go (with the hub in modem mode).
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@mrenigma   That's a real shame ... another reason to put all Hub 3's in the recycling bin!   Smiley Mad

Electron
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
ISP supplied routers are limited devices, and we shouldn't expect them to do anything other than what they are set to do out the box.

for anything other than "stock" configs your own router is the way to go (with the hub in modem mode).

I agree, but at least you could change the LAN IP on the Superhub 2ac once you knew the workaround.  The fact that apparently this is no longer possible with the latest hub speaks volumes about VM's hardware selection process, or lack of one.

Electron
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:
I agree, but at least you could change the LAN IP on the Superhub 2ac once you knew the workaround.  The fact that apparently this is no longer possible with the latest hub speaks volumes about VM's hardware selection process, or lack of one.

it probably says more about locking down functions to make customer support "easier" than anything else.

mrenigma
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I have no issue with locking certain stuff for easy support BUT , changing the IP range of network devices is pretty standard stuff and not being able to do so when I am able to with the hub2 is forcing users to have to reconfigure everything,

I have a server, IP camera's external access to a web server for testing stuff for my clients ,  the time I will waste dealing with this is ridiculous.

What also gets me is that the guy even said, the hub3 back in 2016 had issues but the newer ones are fine now and I can do what I need to do (change IP Range, port forwarding (which I can do).

I even tried the hack to set the IP range, it worked in that the IP range got changed but the admin page would never work so you cannot configure anything after.

Total useless, not fit for purpose!

0 Kudos