cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 Constantly Resetting Itself

Bryony73
Tuning in

Hi.

So we recently upgraded our package and were delivered the hub3 on 17th November. Its worked wonderfully, without issues until yesterday. The connection started to drop and we suddenly noticed the hub was resetting itself. This happened continuously, anything from every 2-30 minutes, and has continued to do so for the last 24 hours. The hub itself appears to totally reset itself as if it were first being set up. It's happening so frequently that we haven't been able to connect any devices to the internet what so ever and even when it resets and connects, the connection/speed is so poor it's unusable. Me and my partner both work from home and currently haven't been able to today because of the problems and won't be able to until this is resolved.

I've read up and it appears we aren't the only ones who have experienced this but does anyone have any answers? I've been on at customer services all day and tried everything they've suggested, multiple resets/restarts, change of settings on the 192.168 etc.. none of it had helped and they gave up. They've arranged for an engineer to come out tomorrow but after reading others experiences they don't appear to have helped much either or have palmed the issue off.

Any suggestions? Do I need a new hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I have arranged a fourth visit after the second engineer didn't do what Virgin confirmed needed to be done and the third didn't show up. I spent 5 hours waiting for a valid response from the complaints team yesterday, was disconnected five times, had to repeat myself constantly and the very best they could do after the engineer NOT turning up on the third occasion was offer another one in TWO days time which, considering they were supposed to replace the hub last Saturday and know my job relies on this connection, didn't, then failed to show up the third time, is just absolutely unacceptable and an awful service.

Virgin arranged an engineer to come out Saturday to avoid sending a new hub in the post to make sure it was done quickly before I started work again Monday. Now I'm being told I can't get the assistance until Thursday. So now I have to wait ANOTHER two days, suffering another two days of connection issues, constant reboots and risk losing another two days of my actual job. Should the engineer actually turn up on Thursday that will be 10 days of issues and the hub replaced 5 days later than planned due to multiple failings on Virgins part. 

Your customer services, tech team and apparent complaints team are immensely infuriating to deal with and the unnecessary stress this has caused me due to loss of work, which Virgin couldn't care any less about, is disgusting. A basic apology absolutely does not cut it.

If I have further issues the only reason I will be contacting anybody is to cancel my services because I absolutely cannot deal with this nonsense anymore. What a ridiculous situation!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Tech should have a supply of Hubs in their van. If they think that is the issue they will simply swap it.

In the meantime can you do this....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up dont login just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of the Login page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bryony73 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you've had issues since your change to the hub 3.  Can I ask how the tech visit went?  Did it resolve things for you?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi.

No. We've had two techs out, neither have fixed the issue which is still persisting since Tuesday. I think the second tech that came yesterday was supposed to replace the hub, he definitely replaced some cables but I don't think he replaced the hub itself. Its consistently disconnected from the internet and rebooted itself since he left now leaving us in a very poor situation for work tomorrow.

I have tried relentlessly to get hold of customer services all weekend and tech support but I keep going around in circles with wait times and being asked to hold.

If I don't get clear answers today I will be cancelling all services because this is obsurd.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try this as a last resort ?

Try a 60 second pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

If this fails, then a new Hub really should be supplied.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Bryony73 thanks for posting.

I am really sorry your hub issue is still ongoing.  I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks for getting back to me Bryony73

I can see that you've got another appointment booked.  You can continue to monitor the appointment here.  Please do get back to us if you have any further issues.

Regards

Lee_R

Yes, I have arranged a fourth visit after the second engineer didn't do what Virgin confirmed needed to be done and the third didn't show up. I spent 5 hours waiting for a valid response from the complaints team yesterday, was disconnected five times, had to repeat myself constantly and the very best they could do after the engineer NOT turning up on the third occasion was offer another one in TWO days time which, considering they were supposed to replace the hub last Saturday and know my job relies on this connection, didn't, then failed to show up the third time, is just absolutely unacceptable and an awful service.

Virgin arranged an engineer to come out Saturday to avoid sending a new hub in the post to make sure it was done quickly before I started work again Monday. Now I'm being told I can't get the assistance until Thursday. So now I have to wait ANOTHER two days, suffering another two days of connection issues, constant reboots and risk losing another two days of my actual job. Should the engineer actually turn up on Thursday that will be 10 days of issues and the hub replaced 5 days later than planned due to multiple failings on Virgins part. 

Your customer services, tech team and apparent complaints team are immensely infuriating to deal with and the unnecessary stress this has caused me due to loss of work, which Virgin couldn't care any less about, is disgusting. A basic apology absolutely does not cut it.

If I have further issues the only reason I will be contacting anybody is to cancel my services because I absolutely cannot deal with this nonsense anymore. What a ridiculous situation!

WEDNESDAY 9th Dec

09:26 - Hub rebooting itself.

09:37 - Hub rebooting itself. Reset and connected without internet.

09:53 - Hub rebooting itself.

10:03 - Hub rebooting itself.