cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

alexwesley1993
On our wavelength

Hi I just had the gig1 service activated on Wednesday with the new hub 5....my ethernet speeds exceed my expectations at 1140 odd Mbps, and the WiFi was consistently at around 750/800mbps....until this morning....now I'm only getting a consistent 120/130mbps when I run a speed test on my phone.....but the ethernet is still hiring over 1gbps on ps5, series X AND pc....I don't understand why ..then engineering even got 1.1gbps over WiFi on his phone....why would mine all of a sudden NERF itself so much??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for getting back in touch. It's appreciated. Yes everything seems to be mostly okay to be honest. It seems the WiFi speed thing was a problem with my phone as it did it again and all I had to do was turn off and on the phones WiFi and it was back up to speed agian Instantly.....I will say though, I made a couple of downloads on my of yesterday night, and they wernt as fast as they were at the start of things...when it was activated it was a consistent 1.1gbps over the ehternet, yesterday I was getting between 500-800mbps.....it wasn't very consistent.....it's werid though..EVERY time I do a speed test ...it's always 1.1gbps.....so I don't understand why the download is slower....if you could shed some light on this it'll be great, thank you

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 5 only recently left trials and is now in a "soft launch" and as such is still in need of firmware fixes and updates.   However, having said that 

Try a 60 second factory reset on the Hub;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

After this try splitting the SSID and choose the wifi bands manually. 

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I don't want to doubt your insights, but I really don't see how changing the names of thing will make a difference.... Especially as it was working perfectly before..it worked perfectly for the past few days...and then just randomly nerfed itself....

to be fair, I restarted my phone a second time, and it seemed to correct the issue....by sods law, it was just as virgin finally answered their phone that it started working again....they have sent some signal to the hub that's supposedly meant to help boost it and help it connect properly via the WiFi...

I've been told to keep an eye on the speeds for next 24 hours and if it drops below 500mpbs the to contact them...luckily I've been regularly running speed tests anyways since Installation, and will carry on doing so for the next week as the first week can usually be up and down.

The Xbox only got like 300 on WiFi, but Xbox's WiFi is restricted to 300 anyhow. On ethernet it hit 1137mbps. But my phone is getting between 700/750mbps again which is about right as the WiFi on my phone isn't WiFi 6. The engineers mobile hit 1.1gbps, so I know the WiFi can hit those speeds......I just hope I havnt made a mistake switching....I don't want to keep having problems with my broadband.....when I joined sky...I NEVER had a problem with then once...it was only once I moved, and that was openreach, not sky.....I do want to keep the Virgin connection as I'm loving the over double speeds to the 500 I had with sky, and being a gamer, that is just what I need

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alexwesley1993 wrote:

I don't want to doubt your insights, but I really don't see how changing the names of thing will make a difference.... <snip>

It just stops the "Intelligent wifi" from moving your wifi devices from one band to another. That's all. Also some devices don't like a single SSID as they don't have the intelligence to pick the right band.

As for gaming, I still have my BT VDSL connection ( from work redundancy needs ) and both Xboxes are routed via this line, and don't use the VM line for gaming at all. Also BT gets IPv6 and there is no need to faff around with Port Forwarding etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ahhhhh, to be honest, changing of the frequency was my first thought to be honest....I've got a feeling it wasn't the hub on the wrong band though, I think it was my phone, which is why after restarting the phone for the second time it seemed to rectify the issue....

As for gaming, my consoles and pc are all connected by ethernet anyhow, and there's no problems with that. They all hit over 1000mbps. Pc consistently hits over 1.1gbps, ps5 hits over 1gbps download speeds, and the series X hits almost 1.1gbps on speed test, but on a download still only hits about 600/650, but considering that the download speed is meant to be capped to 300/350 by Microsoft anyhow, I'm quite happy with that....my sky glass TV is routed through ethernet too, and has had no problems of course.... strangely, it was just my phone.....

Thank you though, your insight is helpful, and I will keep it in mind incase it happens again. It's appreciated.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most phones will look for the strongest signal irrespective of the bands, so if it find a stronger signal on the 2.4GHz band it will use it. By splitting the bands you can get your phone to just use the 5GHz band and never latch onto the 2.4GHz band.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @alexwesley1993

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your WiFi speeds. 

How have things been shaping up over the weekend? Have there been any further issues? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thank you for getting back in touch. It's appreciated. Yes everything seems to be mostly okay to be honest. It seems the WiFi speed thing was a problem with my phone as it did it again and all I had to do was turn off and on the phones WiFi and it was back up to speed agian Instantly.....I will say though, I made a couple of downloads on my of yesterday night, and they wernt as fast as they were at the start of things...when it was activated it was a consistent 1.1gbps over the ehternet, yesterday I was getting between 500-800mbps.....it wasn't very consistent.....it's werid though..EVERY time I do a speed test ...it's always 1.1gbps.....so I don't understand why the download is slower....if you could shed some light on this it'll be great, thank you

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alexwesley1993 wrote:

The download may be slower due to the server you are downloading from not being able to consistently deliver 1Gbps.  Unless you are downloading from a dedicated server then you will be sharing that server's bandwidth with potentially hundreds of other users at peak times.  Other devices on your local network could also be using some of your bandwidth. 

A speed test site is dedicated to sending a relatively small amount of data as fast as possible to try and accurately reflect the line speed.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Hi alexwesley1993, 

Thanks for coming back to us and updating the thread to let us know things are resolved for you now. 

I can see our VIP SCA1972 has been us to the punch with an explanation regarding the fluctuating download speeds. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs