cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 thermal throttle

MeNameIsDan
Tuning in

I got the levels issues sorted out (see post back in February), but I'm still periodically getting 'Thermal Throttle' errors from my Hub 5. A few times a week I lose broadband, and the logs show these errors:

THERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 107C, transition to state 'Elevated 1'

The hub is standing upright with nothing anywhere near it. It's never more than warm to the touch.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Is it a problem with the new hubs in general, or just mine?

Thanks,

Dan. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That message means the same thing as the red LED on a Hub 3.

If it continues to recur after a pinhole (or software) reset, then it's either genuine overheating and needs replacing, or it is a faulty heat sensor, and still needs replacing. Genuine overheating won't normally be obvious from the outside of the hub, since the total heat generated usually isn't any greater than normal, but what's commonly the cause is poor contact between CPU die and the CPU case, or between the CPU case and the heatsink.  With poor contact, the (say) 7 watts going into the CPU isn't conducted away fast enough, so the temperature build and builds, until it exceeds the limit, triggering the sensor, and the firmware then throttles the CPU and logs the error message.

Thermal throttling should keep the hub working, but it will impact performance.  If your use is casual enough then you may not notice, but it would be more apparent either for higher speeds, or larger numbers of connected devices, or for latency-sensitive uses.  Personally I'd not accept any excuses, I'd want an overheating hub replaced, and I'd make sure it was, but bear in mind that it may not be replaced with another Hub 5.

If anybody tries to tell you that this is normal, or that it's OK because the throttling has kicked in, then that would show that they didn't have a clue about the matter. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try a pinhole reset of the hub. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Never had any on my Hub 5, so possibly a fault if it isn’t overheating? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Dan, welcome back to the community! Thank you for coming back to keep us updated on your Hub 5. 

Sorry to hear you are having thermal throttle issues. 

What lights do you have on the hub currently?

Are you able to try doing a reboot to see if the issue persists? 

Would you say that the hub is the same temperature it is usually (so it's warm to touch all the time), or has it only recently become warm upon the discovery of the thermal throttle issue?

Let us know how you get on following the reboot so we can offer further support!

All the best. 

Molly

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That message means the same thing as the red LED on a Hub 3.

If it continues to recur after a pinhole (or software) reset, then it's either genuine overheating and needs replacing, or it is a faulty heat sensor, and still needs replacing. Genuine overheating won't normally be obvious from the outside of the hub, since the total heat generated usually isn't any greater than normal, but what's commonly the cause is poor contact between CPU die and the CPU case, or between the CPU case and the heatsink.  With poor contact, the (say) 7 watts going into the CPU isn't conducted away fast enough, so the temperature build and builds, until it exceeds the limit, triggering the sensor, and the firmware then throttles the CPU and logs the error message.

Thermal throttling should keep the hub working, but it will impact performance.  If your use is casual enough then you may not notice, but it would be more apparent either for higher speeds, or larger numbers of connected devices, or for latency-sensitive uses.  Personally I'd not accept any excuses, I'd want an overheating hub replaced, and I'd make sure it was, but bear in mind that it may not be replaced with another Hub 5.

If anybody tries to tell you that this is normal, or that it's OK because the throttling has kicked in, then that would show that they didn't have a clue about the matter. 

Hi Molly_T, I don't know what lights are showing when the hub reports this overheating issue, because it's in another room. From what the other replies to this thread I assume it's red.

I've done a pinhole reset (again) as advised by Cardiffman281. Time will tell if this makes any difference. Because the hub doesn't store the old logs I can't say how often this has been happening, but I expect it'll happen in the next week or so if the problem is not resolved. I'll let you know.

Dan.