cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 some devices connect to WiFi without internet

neoconkers
Tuning in

I Recently received a hub 5 which is connected and activated. However some devices android phones and smart TV are losing internet connectivity. They show as connected to the WiFi but display “connected without internet”. I can see that are connected to the router as they are listed on the routers web interface.  We did not have this issue with the previous hub 3. 

thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is actually in "trial mode" though not advertised loudly as such. Therefore you are certain to encounter "bugs" etc that VM want to iron out before it is generally released. This may be one such bug.

Do you still have the Hub3? - if so get them to reactivate it onto your account and then send the Hub5 back. If not - call in and request they swap it for you as the Hub5 is not fit for your purpose.

Alternatively you could try a 60 second pinhole reset to see if that sorts it

Or you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" - apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) -

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is actually in "trial mode" though not advertised loudly as such. Therefore you are certain to encounter "bugs" etc that VM want to iron out before it is generally released. This may be one such bug.

Do you still have the Hub3? - if so get them to reactivate it onto your account and then send the Hub5 back. If not - call in and request they swap it for you as the Hub5 is not fit for your purpose.

Alternatively you could try a 60 second pinhole reset to see if that sorts it

Or you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" - apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) -

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the response. Sadly virgin weren’t clear that this was a trial so I sent the hub 3 back as I expected that the router offer was for bedded in equipment. So as you can understand I’m not particularly happy with vm at the moment. I’ll try your suggestions and see if they help with the issues I’m having.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @neoconkers,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How is it going with this now? Hub-5 was a trial/test run, so if there is something we need to investigate we will 🙂 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

'Connected without Internet' is usually a sign of the wifi is working but for some reason the hub is unable to give the device in question all of the right information it needs to connect - often the DNS server address.

OK here's a possibility, pull the power lead out of the Hub 5, then call VM customer support and tell them that you have no connectivity, if they say to reboot the Hub then just say OK, do nothing, give it a minute and then tell them done. If they then tell you that they can see the hub and all is OK, then you absolutely know that they are simply lying to you since the hub is powered off and they can't possibly be 'seeing' it. 

On the other hand if they agree and offer to send an engineer, then accept that and wait for them to turn up. Once the engineer arrives and rings the doorbell, then alas an unfortunate accident suddenly happens to the hub 5, 'oh no, it's tripped and fallen down the stairs', 'honestly it was just looking out of the first floor window and it must have slipped' - you get the idea!

It's likely that the engineer won't have a replacement hub 5 and will have to give you a 3 instead - everyone's happy.

Note  that I possibly cannot, in any way condone any of the aforementioned actions as they are very wrong and will cost VM (which is a fine and upstanding company) some money, which is entirely why I prefix the above paragraphs with the words 'this is a possibility......'

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

<snip>   Note  that I possibly cannot, in any way condone any of the aforementioned actions <snip>

As Manuel would say  " I know nothing ....."   You will have to be of a certain age to get this   😉

On a more serious note, the Hub 5 invite email should have been clearer around the trial status of the equipment.  I think most of these wifi problems stem from the wifi 6 ax protocol, specially as you cannot turn this off I believe.  Most Routers will allow wifi back to b/g/n or even n/ac for older devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have tried various things including  reset etc but we are still have the issue that some devices are connecting to the WiFi but not to the internet.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @neoconkers,

Thank you for coming back.

Can you tell me how the Hub-5 is for you today? Are you looking to get the Hub-3 back?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi yes we are still having issues with some devices losing internet but not WiFi. Yes I would like to go back to a hub 3 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @neoconkers, and I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've been experiencing with the Hub 5. 

We can look into the prospect of having a Hub 3.0 re-issued but I would advise there is no guarantee this can be completed.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn