cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - hidden costs?

Josefjosef
Tuning in

I've just received new hub 5 and am reading through the set up instructions. Section 2.4 states "however you connect, you must complete the instructions in section 2.7". Section 2.7 is an advert for the Virgin Media Internet Security product and includes an instruction (not an invitation) to go to the Virgin site to register. Plus a reference to where to find full costs and T&Cs...... so are Virgin saying i have to sign up to this (with additional costs) to get the 'free' benefits of Hub 5? If so, they can have it back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Isn't Virgin Media Internet Security a free 3-month trial, so you pay nothing if you cancel within this period.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Isn't Virgin Media Internet Security a free 3-month trial, so you pay nothing if you cancel within this period.

--

Thank you Roger. It would be nice to think that, if it can be cancelled, it isn't needed for set up in the first place. However I don't want to get 3/4 through the set up and find I do need it.

If it's a barrier to set up and Virgin hope that people will forget to cancel, then I think that's called sharp practice and a lack of customer respect.

There are plenty of ways of getting money out of customers, think for instance of insurance policies which automatically renew if you fail to cancel.

--

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd be interested to see the page you're describing - could you post a picture of it?

Usually when Virgin Media Security software is mentioned, it's never been a required offer and the fact it's chargeable is usually pretty clear, so I'm surprised it's different in the Hub 5 guide.

For example, these pages show how it's usually talked about:

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-media-internet-security-online-mob...
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/what-is-virgin-media-internet-security

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Yes. It's a tried and tested model. My teddy is out of the pram and on the floor and I'm minded to let them have the Hub back. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. 

Hi Ben

Here you go. I'd be interested to see if you reach the same conclusion I have - or whether I'm reading it wrong.

IMG_3702.jpgIMG_3703.jpg

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, I think I can see what's happened.

Here's an older guide I've found that's still online from a few years ago:
https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/VirginMedia_Quickstart_V6_Install_Triple.pdf

It has the same 'you must do this' guidance, but then points to the activation screens that used to be a required step

That activation process isn't there anymore but when the guides have been produced for the Hub 5 it seems to be been based on a version that has retained that wording but as the activation section has been taken out, the reference has been updated.

The same happened for this other guide I've found online which is as it's newer than the first one points to the free Websafe option instead of the remove activation guidance:
https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-QuickStart-Guide-for-New-Custom...

I'll raise this via the forum team to send on to those that put those guides together, as in the example you've provided it's not helpful to link to the optional paid feature.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Fantastic. I've not looked through the links you kindly provided - but will.

I was also ways hoping it was a typo. I'm glad it seems to be down to human error rather than an underhand attempt to get me to buy something extra. I'm sure Virgin wouldn't do that 🙂

As an aside, if your a VM customer it's only £25 a year for 5 devices. Works really well and doesn't choke your internet connection, like some. Not trying to sell it btw.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode