cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 for new install (Gig1) instead of hub 4

halewoodj
Tuning in

Hi!

I'm hoping someone (probably one of the staff) can help here.

I'm due to switch over to Gig1 on the 6th of November, and will be getting a Hub 4 delivered on that day for this.

As of today the Hub 5 has been released, and I'd much rather have a Hub 5 as it doesn't have the Intel Puma chipset inside, and has WiFi 6.

Is there any way to request this? Seems kind of pointless me having a new install with the Hub 4 when there is a newer version being introduced!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

12 REPLIES 12

Ok, you make good points.

As said Im happy with hub3, but would be nice to be able to get the HUB 5 when on general release if it's known to be good by testers who got it early.
I don't like this stance by VM that you only get the best kit if you are on the highest tiers rubbish. Pretty sure thats the case currently with hub4.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mitch84 wrote:
I don't like this stance by VM that you only get the best kit if you are on the highest tiers rubbish. Pretty sure thats the case currently with hub4.

It's usually the other way around though. New kit is introduced in order to launch the highest tiers of service, so they get them first.

For instance the SuperHub 1 won't do M350, so those customers paying for that tier of service would get a Hub 3 or later to make it work.

Same for Gig1 - it doesn't work on anything else than a Hub 4, so those customers got the Hub 4 first.

Usually as stock improves and older stock runs out, then the new kit filters down to lower tiers of service where it's not actually required to make the service works but is then makes commercial sense to standardise on. Current supply issues around the world have affected that at the moment, and as the Hub 4 is the first hardware for D3.1 it will cost more than mature D3.0 kit will.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I have a SH4 in modem mode with a couple Of German Fritzboxes, in Germany your not tied the ISP's Cable Modem but you can connect your own cable modem as long as it's DOCSIS 3.1 . Virgin force us to use their equipment so that they have full control. I remember the old dial up internet where you could  use your own modem as long as it complied to the telephone standard