cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 and TP Link AV2000GB Powerline

glitterlady
Tuning in

I have just received the Hub 5.  I'm confused about the connection of it.  I have a booklet with instructions and a text from VM saying to reply to activate the hub.  At what point during the installation do I ask for it to be activated.  I am presuming when the cables are connected?  I also have 3 wired connections to my log cabin in garden (used for work), front lounge (used for gaming and TV) and 1 upstairs bedroom (used for work and gaming). Am presuming any port at the back will be acceptable to plug these in?

Also I have thick walls in an old 1930s house and have been using a TP Link powerline WIFI Kit (AV2000Gigabit/TL-WPS9610) to extend the range around the home and to get rid of dead spots.  I have no information about the range on the new hub 5 and whether the powerline will be needed  but if I need to connect, is there anything I need to do to ensure no service is interrupted?  My son and I both work from home so need a good connection at all times.  I am upgrading from the Superhub 3 by the way and wondered whether the range on the Hub 5 is wider than the Superhub 3?  Can anyone enlighten me because I don't know anyone who owns one of these yet to get an opinion and can't find it in any specification.

I'm not very tech savvy so please answer if you can in layman terms.  Many thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

I plugged the hub 5 in on monday, connect the co-axial and the power and connect to at least 1 pc ( I connected 5 at once because they all run through a switch). Switch it on and that should be it, it flashed green and rebooted a couple of times but took about 10 mins,there is no need to do anything else. The software is a bit of a mess with the first 2 pages not showing because of errors, easy to ignore though. I did notice once I set the wi-fi password to the same as on the hub 3  no devices would connect until I re-entered the password on the device. It has run flawlessly all week with slightly better latency, and I am told by family with alot better wi-fi ( no cut outs).

That sounds promising!.   Just  minor teething problems then!  I guess most of us only get to read the complaints on here rather than the successful installations.  Thanks for sharing your experience.   

glitterlady
Tuning in

I'm pleased to report the installation of my hub 5 went smoothly..  The hub connected automatically and I was sent a confirmation text from VM to say it's been activated.  Packed up old SH3 ready to return to VM.  They supply return label for Connect'+ so nothing to pay but only to find my nearest drop off point. 

Devices on ethernet csbles connected straight away. Wifi devces working well and faster connections to sites reported by all my fsmily who are on Apple and android phones.  Our laptops and pcs are also wotking well.  Pages downloading swiftly and a good improvement compared to SH3.   TVs also connecting well to apps. 

Th range of this hub goes much further thsn the SH3 and i haven't connected my TP Link powerline as not needed.  Thankfully all dead spots in house are now eliminated.  Small issue with Ring camers outside where there is a weak connection  but I'll buy a Chime overcome that.  Lastly my old Samsung S2 tablet had a connectivity issue for first hour or so where cerrtan apps weren't performing as they should and I could  access the apps but functionality of the app limited, i.e I couldn't read replies to social media comments or games not loading  but this improved over the next few hours.    

It's only the first day but am happy i took the chsnce to be one of the select few to get the hub 5.  

Thanks to everyone who respinded to my enquiries on here. 

Hi there @glitterlady

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums! 

I'm so glad to hear your installation went smoothly! I just wanted to check how things were looking now it's been a few days?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately after a few days use Ash I have encountered some teething problems and may have to re connect my TP Link Powerline.

1.  HP Laptop very sluggish and when I went to Outlook App on Windows 10, I could view all my messages on Hotmail and Google email accounts but the Blueyonder one would not download any messages or pictures which means I would have to sign into Virgin account to view them every time or view on my phone.   In view of this sluggishness and blip I think I may have to re install my TP Link to get the functions back.  I can view everything on my phone by the way.  This seems to suggest that older equipment isn't coping well with the new Hub and updates need to be brought out by Virgin to bring back full functionality.

2.  Samsung S2 tablet very sluggish and again I am unable to facilitate all my apps.

3. I purchased a Chime Pro yesterday which has resolved my security camera weak link.

I'll report back when I've done further tests.