cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 and Gig1

Vinney222
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I only signed up to VM this week and I have installation on 20th December. The sales agent assured me I could have a hub 5 as it offered wi-fi 6 but only just noticed on the contract that was emailed to me states I am getting a hub 4. I queried this on the VM chat and an agent on there told me that currently the hub 5 will not work with gig 1 broadband. They are waiting for a fix. Does anyone else have more information on the hub 5 or even how good or bad hub 4 is please?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 5 is by invite only and still in trials. The Hub 4 is the current one for 1GB customers. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 5 is by invite only and still in trials. The Hub 4 is the current one for 1GB customers. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub5 is on an invite only to non 1 gig customers. It will work with a 1 gig connection, but is not currently being offered to anyone on 1 gig because the firmware does not yet support the VM pods. These pods are free to 1 gig customers, so VM does not want people asking for free pods when they will not currently work.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi, Many thanks for the replies and that is a good point about the pods. I would prefer wi-fi 6 but if the pods sort out blackspots I should be ok.

Cheers all.

So basically what you are saying is, that noone who is subscribed to 1 gig is going to see a hub 5 until VM get a wifi6 compatible pod? Even if they don't need pods.... so maybe 2023 then.

Dear VM maybe the solution to all this is

• Give your customers a half decent router with better WiFi coverage than your previous routers, so the need for pods is non existent. It can be done as I recently tried an Asus router that I had 5 bars on instead of the 2 from hub4.
  • Release a hub 4.5 that is an ethernet only system that has 2.5g ethernet ports for those people who have their own wifi solutions. It would also probably be cheaper for you as no wifi components.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

noone who is subscribed to 1 gig is going to see a hub 5 until VM get a wifi6 compatible pod?” Unknown,but it’s not that reason why they will not work, it’s because the pods require firmware update to the hub that is not yet available/tested.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Guys,

Interesting thoughts.

Can I ask if there are issues with hub4? Also, are we allowed to use our own router? I have an Asus router with wi-fi 6.

Thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use your own router with all VM hubs.

Tudor

just put hub into modem mode and connect to router via ethernet to wan port of 3rd party router

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

just put hub into modem mode and connect to router via ethernet to wan port of 3rd party router

Just to add you will be limited to 1Gbps due to the ethernet ports on the HUB 4, so roughly 940Mbps when using a third party router/mesh system.

There are ways around it, however it isn't cheap!

That is until the HUB 5 is officially released, which has the 2.5Gbps port (Note your device will need a 2.5Gbps port also!).