cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Upgrade

Raident10
Dialled in

Hello all hope you’re doing well,

I was wondering if a Virgin Media representative on here could please try to sort me a Hub 5 upgrade, as new customers are now being offered them even on the ultimate volt bundle. I don’t use the Wi-Fi hubs either, as I use the Hub in Modem Mode but issues I’m having below would still be applicable even in Router Mode.

In January when i re-signed with virgin, the main reason for upgrading to the gig 1 plan was because I would be first in line to be upgraded to a hub 5, which I was told on the phone.

There are 2 main issues /faults I am having:

The puma chip in the Hub 4 causes latency spikes to the WAN IP, so this is to the hub itself. This has been a known issue for a while and effects user users. The Hub 5 doesn’t use this thankfully and as I play games, ping spikes are not too good.

I am also paying for an average of 1130 Mbps- it says this in black and white on my contact and when I log into my account too.

I called the faults team and they tried to pull one over me. They said I only pay for 1000, when it’s on my contact that I pay for 1130. I tried to explain that through no fault of my own, the Hub4 physically can’t supply the full bandwidth to any devices, because Wi-Fi 5 doesn’t come anywhere close and there are only Gigabit LAN ports on the Hub 4, which actually with overheads give about 940 Mbps.

So that’s just under 200 Mbps of bandwidth I’m losing, through a hardware fault /limitation of the hub 4!

I did advise them and they said there is nothing they can do /didn’t seem to bothered to help, even with the 2 major issues I have.

So this is my last hope really, could anyone please help me?

Take care,

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can now call in and upgrade to a Hub5 for a one of cost of £35 activation fee + delivery

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you ever so much for this info John, I do really appreciate it. If I do end up having to pay, effectively I was missold but we shall see what they say. 🙂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 has only been "officially released" for a couple of days. Until then it was by invitation only.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

So I spoke to level 2 Retentions and they spoke with a manager. Apparently it’s out of stock at the moment so guess I’ll have to wait. 😕 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes they are having Hub supply issues at the moment but there was a thread yesterday where one was provided. Try again next week.... and also wait and see if a VM person on here can help when they get here (a day or two).

--------------------
John
--------------------

Alrighty, thanks John and I’ll see if a VM person can respond on here as well like you suggested.

Sabtain7
Up to speed
Hey I've been having issues for over a year with their hub 4 on the gig 1 package since it launched in the West Midlands. I spoke to dozens of agents since the hub 5 launch all giving me stories like yes we will send it in the post or the engineer will come to install it but never happened.
Finally I managed to get one from retentions today after around 50+ calls since its launch and I finally have a confirmation on delivery for self instal.

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky (Glass) World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm

Seems you got very lucky then Saptain! Hopefully the 5 is holding out for you and hopefully it gets rid of these stupid latency spikes every so often.

Hoping they get them back in stock soon. 😕

Hi

No point to calling. I contacted yesterday and they said there is out of stock. I have to wait for email when they are available.