cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Died

kpanchev
Up to speed

I have had some issues with my internet today, it started with my mobile (using wifi calling) not being able to dial, also not ringing... Wifi off and the mobile is working fine again, so I decided my internet connection is playing up... so I rebooted the hub 5...

10 minutes later and no internet, I am looking at the hub only to see a fast flashing whit light... another reboot, then gone through the online troubleshooting (unplug, check cables, connectors, plug again, power up, wait 10 minutes), still fast flashing light.

Next I'm trying to access the web interface (192.168.100.1 as it is in modem mode) and no luck... no response at all...

Pinhole reset it is then... seems no effect at all...

Final test I plugged in a cable direct from my laptop into the hub, but unfortunately no luck the NIC is down and absolutely no indication of anything connected to the other end of the cable (the cable is good, it works when plugged into my other router)

So now I have booked an engineer visit (in 2 days time), my problem is that I work partly from home (I am a network support engineer) and I need my internet! Not to speak of all my smart home gadgets (heating, lights, doorbell, TV) all goes through the internet...

Looks like this new hub 5 is a real piece of ... joy...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kpanchev, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry to hear of your issues with the Hub 5.

I'm just going to pop you a PM to ask you to confirm some further details, just so I can take a look into this a bit more specifically.

Please expect this PM shortly and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As a last resort, try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

The Hub 5 is still in "sort of trial mode" and you are not the first to report a Hub 5 dying ....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have already done this, also did 30-30-30 reset, still no luck.

And provided that there is no signal on the Ethernet ports, the only explanation is a complete and total failure of the hardware...

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kpanchev, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry to hear of your issues with the Hub 5.

I'm just going to pop you a PM to ask you to confirm some further details, just so I can take a look into this a bit more specifically.

Please expect this PM shortly and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

kpanchev
Up to speed

Just an update, the engineer came and replaced my Hub5 with a Hub4... He also said that they have started seeing increased numbers of such failures, apparently the Hub5 is still work in progress... My opinion is the hardware is dirt cheap, so it just fails... Nothing to do with any firmware bugs or configs...