Menu
Daleish
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 status: “Internet: access denied’

I don’t like wasting everyone’s time posting on here, but I’ve tried everything else and my internet is still not working.

Ive been ignored on live chat since yesterday and just spent an hour on the phone to be told I’d get a call back in 15 minutes an hour ago. 

Since yesterday I’ve had no internet connectivity on my hub 3. It’s been fine for the past 18 months. 

I logged into the router management page and it says in the status: Wireless: On (in green) Internet: Access Denied (in red).

The network logs have various Ranging Response and DHCP failure errors, however when explaining these on the phone the support guy sounded really confused , as though he’d never heard of them before.

Ive already tried restarting the hub, holding in the reset button for 60 seconds and performing a factory reset. Hub comes back on fine but still says Internet: Access Denied. Suppose it’s a coincidence that my bill has just gone up too!

Anyone got any other ideas? 

Edit: the exact log messages are:

No ranging response received - t3 time-out

DHCP REBIND warning - field invalid in response

DHCP renew sent - no response for ipv4.

Only the ranging error occurred on the day my internet stopped, and since that day.

Under ‘status’ within Tools>Network Status I have:

Acquired downstream channel 299000000 Locked

Acquired upstream channel 60300000 Locked

Provisioning state online.

The guy on the phone said I seemed to be ‘online’ from his end despite me still having no internet. Still annoyed I fell for the old ‘I’ll call you back’ trick.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 status: “Internet: access denied’

Have you checked for known faults?

As well as the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.
This should also start your "compensation "timer".
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

Also what Hub model do you have and what are its "lights" showing ? Also are ethernet cable connected devices not connected as well as wifi ones? The guy on the phone seems to think that your connection is fine (may be wrong of course) and its just a wifi issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Daleish
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Got through to someone else on the phone eventually. Confirmed no issues in the area, but could see the hub remotely and send it commands, so ruled it was an issue with devices not being able to get out to the internet through the hub.

Tried troubleshooting for half an hour or so and then decided to get me a new hub sent out. So have no clue what is wrong with this current one, hopefully a new hub sorts the issue, as not sure what can be done to fix the issue if it isn’t the hub.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable connected devices ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Daleish
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nope, both wireless and Ethernet devices not working. Hopefully the new hub will fix the issue when it arrives

0 Kudos
Daleish
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I now have a new issue, if someone from Virgin could help?

I've not had any confirmation text or email come through as promised about my new hub being sent out. Starting to think I'm being fobbed off now.

0 Kudos
Daleish
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to close this out for people with a similar issue in the future, so you’re not left hanging like I was.

i did receive a replacement hub as promised today. Called up and got it activated then connected it all up. Took 20 mins or so to finish doing its think and then the internet worked again.

not sure what the issue was but clearly something wrong with the old hub.

0 Kudos