cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 red light

Philip111
Tuning in

Had the modem for over 5 years. No issues until last month or so but now service is degraded. Permanent red light now but not hot and nothing has changed. Checked it is set to router and not modem only. Power cycled and factory reset but still with red light. I believe modem is faulty and hope moderators can arrange for a replacement. Thanks Philip 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SteNix2020
Up to speed

Staff should pick this up in a day or so. If not you can call it in but have seen better outcomes on here.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a health & safety issue that needs dealing with urgently.

Thread has been escalated for a priority response.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Philip111 thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

11 REPLIES 11

SteNix2020
Up to speed

Staff should pick this up in a day or so. If not you can call it in but have seen better outcomes on here.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a health & safety issue that needs dealing with urgently.

Thread has been escalated for a priority response.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Philip111,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your router and its connection recently. To clarify, are you saying that the router is now hot or that it isn't hot? Not sure if that was an unfortunate typo so just wanted to make sure before we proceed any further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Well the hub thinks it is..

Ignoring it is like ignoring a brake warning light on your car - The brakes may be fine or they could have failed and you could crash!

Either the hub is fine or it is about to overheat and burn the house down - you'll never know! - This is why the hub needs replacing!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for getting back to me. Hub still shows red light. Slightly warm to touch but nowhere near hot. Power supply brick cool. Overall service ok but degraded compared to previous experience; ie drop outs, etc. Makes me suspect Hub has had a partial failure in some components due to age. 

Hi @Philip111 thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Philip111,

Thanks for confirming your details with us. Further checks have diagnosed issues with your downstream and upstream levels meaning an engineer appointment is needed.

This is booked in and you can check this via your online My VM Account where you can also edit the date/time if necessary.

Keep us posted!

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Many thanks for letting me know. Regards Philip 

Just to confirm that the engineer visited as expected. He said the levels are ok but the hub was failing due to age (probably). He replaced it with another and service seems fine since. Many thanks to everyone here for their help. Much appreciated. I have one extra question. The new hub has a new WiFi ID and “passphrase” as I expected. The passphrase looks random and hard to guess so I am using it for now. If they are actually vulnerable I will change ASAP but I am rather busy at the moment. 
Regards, Philip