cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 losing connection, no ranging response, date set to 01/01/1970

charleigh
Tuning in

Over the last week we've been having some real trouble with our Hub 3. It loses connection in the morning around 9am, then I have to do the "turn it off and on again" dance for a while. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. 

In the router network logs, I see the following, showing it being offline (when the date is 01/01/1970) and when it eventually comes back online. Sometimes the service page shows a local fault, but most of the time it says everything is fine. Is there anything I can do? 

Screenshot 2022-04-28 at 21.02.10.png

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Also post your power levels and network log, thanks.

The time of 01/01/1970 is a UNIX time stamp and is normal in this OS.  It's the epoch time stamp if you need to look it up for your interest. Epoch Converter - Unix Timestamp Converter

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @charleigh,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your connection.

Can you please tell me if you have tried the suggestions above? I can see that the service status number was given, did this mention any area issues? 

Many thanks

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for the replies both - I have tried the 60-second reset, and am still seeing no broadband into my hub. The local service line did not report any faults for my area either. I am seeing a green light at the bottom, a green wifi light and the arrows flash green too. 

How do I find my power levels? Will post network log when hub has finished rebooting again.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@charleigh wrote:

<snip>   How do I find my power levels? Will post network log when hub has finished rebooting again.

Browse to 192.168.0.1 and click on the link "Router Status"   Post all the information on the tabs.  Just copy and paste the text into several posts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm struggling to even get to the Hub login page now, the address 192.168.0.1 just spins and does not load now. Have tried on Safari and Chrome. Is it a problem with my Hub? It's still stuck on green light for both wifi and the arrows (flashing on and off). I need this to work next week...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@charleigh wrote:

I'm struggling to even get to the Hub login page now, the address 192.168.0.1 just spins and does not load now. Have tried on Safari and Chrome. <snip>

Are you using an ethernet cable to connect.  It could be the wifi is playing up?  Either way sounds like the Hub is failing in some way.

If you have already done the 60 second factory reset, there is not much else you can do, apart from insist on a replacement Hub.

I've managed to connect via an ethernet cable, but it's still not working, sadly. Have now factory reset a couple of times. Details:

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranging
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
undefined
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID

1387000000-12.237256 qam32

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked37.300

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

General Configuration

Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type

Network Log

Time Priority Description

01/01/1970 00:07:9criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:05:45criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:04:52noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:04:32criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:04:0noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:03:27criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:02:57criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:38criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:18:44criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:17:38criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:17:6criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:16:4criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:15:34criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:14:13criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:13:43criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:12:36criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:12:6criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:11:12criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:10:41criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 14:09:37criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @charleigh,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm sorry to hear that the reset did not help get your Hub back online and that you're still having some issues with your at home connection.

In order to investigate this further, I will send you a Private Message to discuss this issue further and run some internal checks.

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks to all that offered support - an engineer has just been out and fixed it. I had two corroded couplings that were the root cause, and I’m back online now. Thanks very much to Ryan in Bristol, very helpful and speedy!