cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 into Phone Line?

slp12
Settling in

Hi, we are trying to set up our new Virgin Hub 3 but are having issues. We were told when we set up the account that as the previous owners had Virgin we could set up without an engineer. However, we only have a circular cable and a square plug. It appears to be that we have a phone line into the house but no way to connect this to the hub (we only have broadband not phone services). Can anyone tell us what cable or adapter we need to be able to connect the broadband into the phone line plug? 

Photo of the plug included

image0.png

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a phone line, not VM broadband.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There should be a different wall point for your connection.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/hub-4/wall-socket

For new customers taking phone services any existing Virgin Media phone socket in a property won't be used.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi, this is the only wall point we have?

That's what we thought however Virgin told us that the old owners also had Virgin so could do quick set up. There is no other virgin points in the house and the old owners said they have Broadband and Phone through this connection?

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

VM's database identifies all property which they know to have had a cable broadband connection in the past. They should not have sent out a quick start kit otherwise. You need to look carefully for a wall box that may be marked NTL or Telewest or the name of the many cable companies that merged to form VM. If you can't find one then phone VM on 0345 454 1111 and ask for a tech install. Or wait here for the VM staff to arrange this for you. Couple of days.  It is always possible that the previous owner removed the box and cabling. 

Edit - why don't you post a photo of the box next to the phone socket. Bet your bottom dollar that's the cable connection box. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slp12 wrote:
That's what we thought however Virgin told us that the old owners also had Virgin so could do quick set up. There is no other virgin points in the house and the old owners said they have Broadband and Phone through this connection?

Is there a brown VM/Telewest box attached to the outside of your home?

Thanks for the reply - have attached the photo with the box next to it - we believe this was something to do with a sound system rather than internet!

We have tried to get through to VM but their phone line earlier said call centres were closed. Am trying a different extension now to try and get through to someone so will update if get a response.

Sorry attached now!Sorry attached now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slp12 wrote:

Sorry attached now!Sorry attached now!

Yeah that's nothing to do with VM!