Menu
Highlighted
Olittle01
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 green lights and lost connection

Hi, I have been reading through the forum and have noticed quite a few people having issues with their hub 3 and intermittent connection. My service was only installed on the 16/08/18 and already I am at my wits end as I am knocked off the internet every 15-30 minutes with green flashing lights (bottom light, Wi-Fi light and arrows). When I googled what these lights mean it seems to suggest a software update? We have checked all connections several times and have been in touch with customer services several times to no avail, the problem just continues. I am not very tech savvy about these type of things and was wondering if anyone had any updated information about this problem? All help or direction would be appreciated! 

0 Kudos
bktyee
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 green lights and lost connection

I moved to VM last November and had a pretty good 5/6 months before I started getting disconnection to the stage where it started to bother me.

The last month was really bad and I had the engineer come round but (surprise, surprise) couldn't find any faults. The disconnections persists and VM sent me a replacement SH3 which didn't seem to make any difference.

I have noticed that setting SH3 to modem mode appear to help quite a lot but even then, there are occasions when SH3 is just unable to reconnect on its own. I don't know if this will work for you but when SH3 is unable to reconnect for more than 15 mins, I power down SH3, remove the attenuator (if it is connected) or install the attenuator (if it is not) and that always seem to help my SH3 reestablish connection again.

It's not ideal of course but until VM can fix our issue permanently, at least I seem to be able to get a usable period (hours) to enjoy my broadband.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Olittle01 wrote:

Hi, I have been reading through the forum and have noticed quite a few people having issues with their hub 3 and intermittent connection. My service was only installed on the 16/08/18 and already I am at my wits end as I am knocked off the internet every 15-30 minutes with green flashing lights (bottom light, Wi-Fi light and arrows). When I googled what these lights mean it seems to suggest a software update? We have checked all connections several times and have been in touch with customer services several times to no avail, the problem just continues. I am not very tech savvy about these type of things and was wondering if anyone had any updated information about this problem? All help or direction would be appreciated! 

Try this if you haven't already...

Access your Hub settings (see below) and do what is suggested in this thread - and at the same time what is suggested below it

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  This “confuses” many devices as they can continually flit from one to t’other.   So the first job is to change that:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best for being more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 though.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon Olittle01,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to learn you are having an issue with the connection.

From checking your line, the upstream power levels are high at 52 dBmV and there are high amounts of time-outs. I would like to book an engineer to take a look at this for you and have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Huczom
Settling in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Having the exactly same issue ... virgin and there unstable WiFi. About a hour ago connection was okay with some ms spikes but that’s normal since virgin can’t provide good and stable connection but out of nowhere the connection just shut off and the router had 3 green lights . I tryed multiple methods of bringing it back but it didn’t work . So please vergin fix ya trashy connection or help with this 

0 Kudos