cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - Yellow Light since Installation

Korojun
Tuning in

Hi all,

I installed my new Hub 3 two days ago, and after some tinkering due to not having a Virgin wall socket I got the WiFi up and running. I was a bit confused as the light was clearly a solid yellow and not white as I was told it would be, but I tested the internet speed and it was as promised so I let it be. 

The WiFi worked fine all of yesterday, but then this morning it crashed (yellow light disappeared, it was trying to automatically fix itself but no luck) and I had to set it up all over again. After another 10 minutes of working it failed once more.

I was fine with letting it be yellow as long as it worked consistently at high speeds, but clearly the yellow light is indicating there is some problem with the consistency of the connection.

Would really appreciate some help with this.

Martin

13 REPLIES 13

Z92
Trouble shooter

It's supposed to be white, but it is more yellowish than white, so the colour is not indicative of a problem. 

However, the WiFi on the hub is known to be terrible.

Can you try the connection with a ethernet cable instead? If that also shows a fault we could see if the connection is having difficulties, but I would expect it's just the WiFi dropping out which is normal. Other providers have much better WiFi routers that produce a much stronger signal.

If it is determined that it's just your WiFi you could get your own WiFi router which will do a much better job. Don't be tempted for VM to rent you a WiFi booster - think of the long term cost of paying for it every month compared to buying your own which you can take with you to your next provider.

Unfortunately I don't have an ethernet cable for my laptop at the moment.

What concerns me however is when I visited the flat a few months ago and saw the prior tenant's Hub, it was clearly white. I have a video of it as well. The colour on mine is clearly a dark yellow, almost an orange...

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's difficult to conclude much useful from the LED colour on a Hub 3, so I've asked if staff can take a look at your hub's status remotely.  If they pick up anything they can advise on steps to getting the problem resolved.

If they can't see anything wrong, that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong, and in that case we'll need to delve a bit deeper into the problem, get you to post the hub's status data, maybe setup a connection monitor.

The other thing you can do is (if you're within 14 days of a new installation) is phone up and ask to cancel.  The retentions staff will ask why, you tell them the hub or the connection aren't working properly, they'll almost certainly get a technician booked for you. 

Thanks for asking the staff, hopefully they can get this resolved.

If it crashes again today I will ask for a cancel.

Hi @Korojun,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having issues with your hub at the moment, I have looked into your account and can see that there is a fault in your area today, that has an estimated resolution date and time of 4pm today.

I have also noticed that your upstream power levels are on the high side and would need a technician visit to resolve but this could be resolved by the work being carried out in your area and hopefully this would also resolve the issue with your hub and the yellow light.

Please let me know, if this doesn't change after 4pm today and we can then arrange for a technician visit to resolve these issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

It is currently 11pm and the light is still solid yellow. I have tried pin resetting the hub but nothing changed unfortunately.

It would be great to have a technician sort this out, thanks.

Thanks for coming back to me @Korojun and I'm sorry that the works being carried out haven't resolved your issues.

Having looked into your account again this morning and the issues are still there on your account. I can book the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.

I will drop the private message over in a moment, please look out for this and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Korojun.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about this on your online account by clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Regards,

Steven_L

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i would say forget the light colour - it can be any colour from white to light coffee colour - why is a good question - poor quality led's maybe - old hubs re issued or a few other reasons i would guess

non of that answers your connection problem and hopefully a tech can sort that

Tony.
Sacked VIP