cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 wifi working, ethernet ports not

JamesBarnaby1
Tuning in

Hi.

About me: I'm an IT pro with 30 years experience, and a degree in Computer Science, so I'm happy for you to be as technical as possible.

About 9 months ago the ethernet ports on our hub 3.0 stopped working but wifi was fine. I went through all the suggested solutions. New cable, multiple devices, loopback, full reset and spoke to customer support.

They thought the modem was faulty so booked an engineer. A few hours later the ports magically started working again. So another call to customer support who informed me that there had been a DHCP server issue, and cancelled the engineer.

Yesterday the same thing happened wifi fine, ethernet ports not functioning. Tried all the steps again, no joy. Thought I'd wait before bothering support.

This morning all OK again.

Questions:

1. Do the ethernet ports route through to a different DHCP server than the wifi circuitry?

2a. If yes to previous, then can these servers be added to the service status, and customer support trained to check them when discussing this specific issue.

2b. If no, then am I looking at a slowly degenerating hub and do I indeed need an engineer. If one comes and the hub is working again what will be the outcome?

Cheers

James (No. 74, M34 3QZ) 

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The DHCP server is not relevant, it is the same for wifi and ethernet.  

Sounds like a faulty Hub, and it needs replaced.  You could try checking the actual physical connections for dust etc, as they are quite small and easily clogged up. 

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.  If an engineer finds no fault, it's a £25 charge I believe, but I'm sure you can prove it is faulty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the meantime you could try I pin hole reset of the hub. It has been known to fix this type of problem, but not always.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Do you work for virgin or have you been involved with their infrastructure?

If you'd read my post you'd have seen that on both occasions I did a full reset. 

On both occasions the ports just started working again after a few hours  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a Community forum. Neither myself or @Tudor work for VM.  We are only trying to assist with suggestions. 
If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod should pick this up. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JamesBarnaby1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.
Sorry to see about the issue with your ethernet ports dropping connection. 

As advised by @Adduxi above, DHCP is the same for WiFi and wired
We would have to diagnose this on the spot ideally, could you please confirm if your ports are now connecting ok or if they dropped connection again after your last post?

Please, confirm and we are happy to assist from here.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

As I said in my post, the ethernet ports did come back on after a few hours, Could I just respectfully ask what your affiliation is with Virgin Media, and are you one of their Infrastructure Engineers?

Regards

James

Thanks for coming back to us @JamesBarnaby1, the system sent my last message as private, when it should have been sent as a public message. We are full Virgin Media employees here on the forums and can escalate issues within the company. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Could this issue be escalated then as it's incredibly frustrating, as any transient issue is.

For most that have reported it none of the troubleshooting measures fix it, and then after a few hours the ports burst into life again. This would seem to point to a loose internal connection not being the culprit.

Also, it's expensive to the company to send engineers out to look at a device that appears to be working perfectly.

It would be nice for the more robust hub 4 and 5 to be rolled out in greater volumes. We're on 500gbps and I'm not even sure how well the 3 copes with it.

Cheers

J