Today I received a SuperHub 3.0. I assigned static IP addresses to all my devices and also assigned them names so I could easily see what was connected at a glance. However, I noticed that before long the router had swapped some names around (including giving my heating system, which is connected by ethernet cable, the name I had given my wife's phone (connected wirelessly), and renaming my wife's phone as 'android *****etc'), and changing other names to 'unknown'. I note from reading other forum threads that others have had this issue and that various firmware updates haven't resolved it. I am assuming I have the latest firmware given I only got the hub today and it told me it was downloading updates. I have contacted VM about this, and the very helpful bloke I spoke to (no irony intended; he genuinely was) was unaware of the issue, and couldn't see that it was flagged as a known issue at the company. I am aware others have had the same issue as this (going back over a year), but I am posting this in the hope of adding weight and hopefully prompting VM to come up with a solution. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions about how to get around this problem I would be grateful for advice. Many thanks
I appreciate that you've taken the time to post your findings and feedback, I will ensure it's heard by the relevant people. This is a fault I'm aware of based on previous posts I've read around here. Please keep in touch with us for updates.
Thanks for your patience,
Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out
Not sure if this is directly related to your problem / question, but I joined Virgin today and have been trying to set up all of my devices and faced a few issues.
I found that renaming devices only worked if they were in the first four on the home page of connected devices. If I tried to change any from the fifth one onwards (second row) then it got confused and edited the equivalent on the first row (eg editing device 6, the router made changes to device 2).
The only way I've found to make the router save the device name and type changes was to turn off others so that I was editing them on the first row and then turning the others back on once I'd made all the changes.
If you are still having problems with this then I think that I have found a fix/work-around (it worked for me, anyway)... When you have typed the name of your device DO NOT CLICK 'Apply', instead PRESS THE 'RETURN' Key. You will probably have to press the return key twice (once for setting the name in the text-box, and the second time to send it to the database.
I was having this frustrating issue with the names, but now its gone away :-)
Having the same issues too, tried using return instead of Apply to name devices as suggested, that resulted in devices disappearing from list completely for a while. Have wasted a lot of time trying to do something that should be easy, a definite bug in Hub 3.0 !