Menu
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Wired internet connection intermittantly drops for several seconds

Hi Jacobyswift,

Sorry for the delayed reply and for the broadband issues. 

How's things been since posting? Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Jacobyswift
Joining in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

FIXED!! - Posting this for anyone searching the forums for a solution to this issue.

After suffering these regular internet dropouts consistently for months, I have finally found a fix for the problem! I implemented this approximately 48 hours ago and according to the event logs have had no internet drops in this time.

The cause appears to be conflicting speed settings between the Network Adapter and the Modem...

- Navigate to Device Manager | Network adapters.
- Right click on your Network Adapter (mine is Realtek PCle FE Family controller).
- Right click on Properties, and choose Advanced.
- Under Property click on Speed & Duplex
- Under Value you will probably find Auto Negotiation, replace it with 100 Mbps Half Duplex
- Click OK, and close Device Manager

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

At the risk of putting a dampener on things, this isn't really fixed, what you have done is the equivalent of 'fixing' a noisy wheel-bearing on a car by turning up the radio so you can't hear it anymore!

The network interface on the PC and the network port on the Hub will negotiate the bet speed they can do, the Hub can definitely support 1 Gbit full-duplex, if the card on the PC is really only a FE (fast ethernet) one then right from the start it can only run a roughly one tenth of the speed the hub can, even so it should be able to run at full-duplex, forcing it to half-duplex has severely reduced the throughput again.

Cat 6 cable (like Cat 5 and Cat 5e) consists of four pairs of twisted thin cables - to runstat gigabit speeds and full duplex, all eight of these have to be properly connected - if some aren't then the connection will downgrade itself. What I think is happening is you have a bad joint in one of other of the wall boxes or dust is getting into the sockets downstairs and partially clogging them. Some of the connections are 'flapping' and that causes the PC and Hub to drop the connection and have to renegotiate it.

I'd be tempted to pop the face plates off of the wall sockets and just make sure that all the connections are properly punched down, no little bit of stray wires in them and then check that the actual sockets in the Hub downstairs are clean - don't be tempted to put the hub in a plastic bag, it'll keep it clean but overheat.

Are you sure that the card in your PC isn't a gigabit one? If you have Cat 6 cables run, then a new card which can run at full speed is a matter of just a few pounds really.

0 Kudos
Jacobyswift
Joining in
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thanks so much for this!

I will re-do both network wall sockets and see if that helps. Smiley Happy  I had no idea that would cause a drop like this. I assumed anything wrong there would cause constant network noise, or no connection.

And I'll upgrade my shonky old network card.

0 Kudos