Menu
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Keeps Losing Passwords and Settings

"it is possible a new hub is needed"

That's true.  But not a VMDG505.  We want something modern, reliable, with decent 802.11ax and a couple of extra mesh units.  An "intel outside" sticker is probably sensible as well.  And after RobboC has got theirs, I'll have one, and then you'll only have around 6m UK customers needing a competent router.

I know there will be a DOCSIS 3.1 hub currently in trial, but VM can place that in a sunless location - on the basis of the old Motorola Surfboard, the Superhub, the Superhub 2, and the Hub 3, the next one is bound to be a cheapskate affair with lacklustre wifi.  For me, 200+ speeds have no value, all I want is a competent, self-diagnosing, self-reporting and fixing cable modem capable of 200 Mbps, and a router that justifies the high cost of VM services.  I reckon over the past quarter century I've paid Vermin Media and its predecessor somewhere around FIFTEEN THOUSAND QUID, and the company has the audacity to serve customers like me with a dog like the Hub 3......

It is a pity that VM's senior management don't read these boards - the company's entire business is under medium term threat from Openreach G.fast or FTTP, and once those capabilities are in the field, all the Openreach ISP's have to offer as an incentive is a decent mesh routing system, and VM's competitive advantage is dead, other than "speed victims" who want gigabit broadband.

" I'd advise ringing the team on 150/0345 454 1111 so they can assist further"

<Visual effect: Andruser chokes on a combination of his own laughter and bile>

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 22 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Andruser.
I am sure you realise all of the above is outwith the control of VM and is in the hands of Liberty Global. As long as they continue to own VM they will decide what hardware VM can release in the UK and it will be the same as they have already rolled out in parts of Europe and it will be exactly what thinks the market can stand.
I hanker for the old days too when we had to buy our own modems and routers - and the ISP simply delivered the internet to you via a phone line or cable connection. You decided then what to do with it.
Unfortunately, Marketing Departments then got involved and the rest is history !
I find it much less stressful to just ignore what equipment VM provide and regard any provided Hub as just a "Modem". Then having invoked the mindset that anything beyond that is something I have to take care of it then makes for a much more restful existence.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RobboC
Tuning in
Message 23 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I must confess, I've yet to sort this out. 

I was told I could have a new router but an engineer must visit to install it. I'm not sure why, but this makes it a real PITA due to mine and my partners work schedules. Plus if I can set up the personal requirements, I'm pretty sure I can plug in a new router... 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 24 of 25
Flag for a moderator

jbrennnand: I am sure you realise all of the above is outwith the control of VM and is in the hands of Liberty Global. 

Without wishing to seem rude, I work for a similar sized residential customer services business owned by an overseas listed parent company, and I've worked for others before this one.  A business unit the size of VM is easily able to call the shots with its parent company, the point is VM chooses not to.  Don't forget that although Liberty is a US listed company, it has no US domestic operations.  It isn't aligned with a US domestic cable operator, and uses EuroDOCSIS.

The origins of the Hub 3 I will grant you date back to a group decision, but since that time, Liberty have sold off operations in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic.  The reason we still have the crap Hub 3 is because VM's UK management couldn't care less about its mediocrity.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 25 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

A business unit the size of VM is easily able to call the shots with its parent company, the point is VM chooses not to. 

The reason we still have the crap Hub 3 is because VM's UK management couldn't care less about its mediocrity.

That maybe true, but the reality is that ninety-something percent of VM's  >5m BB customers, have no problems with the equipment they supply.  Witness the relatively low number (%) of complaints on here - compared to subscriber numbers.  My mate around the corner thinks the Hub3 is the best router on the market !  So as long as its only a small number of people that are complaining, the Marketing Department will be content with what they have.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos