cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2Ac to Hub 3

dazzabird
On our wavelength

Having complained to Virginmedia recently about speed engineer atteneded and swapped my Hub 2AC to a Hub3...

Now i thought the connections to a Hub3 were automatic as if connectimg to a 2.4 or 5 channel.., in that the connection was auto between the 2.   This was fine at first as just needed one password tpo connect to hub3 and none of the choosing between 2.4 or 5 channels.

having had some dropouts recently the operator changed my Hub settings ( remotely )so that i now have the option of 2.4 or 5 channels again.....now do i have to reset the passwords again for all devoices that want to connect to hub....it seems so...

18 REPLIES 18

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You would have had one wi-fi SSID before (along the lines of VM123456) and one password.

If VM CS has split the wireless bands you will now have two different network names, one for each wi-fi band.

Your password might be the same as before for both the new SSID.

So you will need to reconnect your devices to the new network which they require (either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz name).

dazzabird
On our wavelength

i thought having one SSID was the benefit of a Hub 3 ?

on the Hub 2Ac i did have 2 SSID and a device would connect to whichever one it had the password for.

Initially the Hub3 only had one SSID.....so a device would connect to the best signal automatically ?

Im not sure of the benefit of having2 SSID's again ?

if i make both bands the same password will a device swich between the 2 as needed depending on the best signal

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You shouldn't have had your bands split by Virgin Media, that's not in any support process agents should be following.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dazzabird wrote:
if i make both bands the same password will a device swich between the 2 as needed depending on the best signal

You have two separate wi-fi networks now, so you would need to go through the process of connecting the device to each network separately (the 2.4GHz version and the 5GHz version). They can have the same password or a different password but you need to make two separate connections now for your device.

Once you have done that, the device will be able to connect to both (assuming that the device itself has dual band capabilities). The device usually just selects the strongest signal (which is often 2.4GHz which is not as fast as the 5GHz signal).

(Edit: Missed replies at #3 to #5 while typing the above so up to you which option/config you want to use. If you have any of the VM pods I believe they require a combined SSID)

dazzabird
On our wavelength
well thats what has happened

dazzabird
On our wavelength
will my wifi pods be affected by this

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Well you couldn't have WiFi Pods with the 2AC, but if you now have WiFi Pods from Virgin Media with the Hub 3, then it needs to be set to default settings for them to work properly.

Split SSIDs will be a problem
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dazzabird wrote:
will my wifi pods be affected by this

I've never seen/used the VM pods so someone else will have to help you here but I think they need the SSID to be a combined one. Wait for someone else to chip in an help you with this with the correct advice.

VM pods (if that is what you have) are these things

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi

Edit: Crossed post again with BenMcr