cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run VM coax outside for installation (Catch 22 situation)

davefoy
On our wavelength

We have a bit of a Catch 22 situation in getting our VM connection and wondering if anyone can advise. 

Details:

We've just moved into a new build house. We had VM coax run to rooms we may want a TV point in, as advised by our local VM new build guy.  

The coax comes out of a hole/socket in each room where we want TV points.

I gather that the other ends of each piece of coax should have been terminated outside the house, so the outside engineers can attach it to the external VM brown box via a splitter (that's what an outside engineer told me today anyway). 

However: the builders terminated the coax in the hallway inside the house, right by the other side of the wall where the external brown box will be fitted. 

See photo.

IMG_2560 2.jpeg

(By the way, there's too much coax there, we only need 3 TV points so we'll cap the rest).

My question is: how are we going to get the coax inside connected to the box outside?

Sure, the coax is plenty long enough to reach, there's loads of length. And I know it's a matter of making a hole and pulling it through. 

But the problem is...

The outside subcontracted engineers won't touch the inside of the house - they just expect the coax to be sticking out the outside of the house for them to pull the cable through the ducting outside and install the brown box.

But until they've been and done their bit, the inside VM engineers won't come. But the outside guys tell us the inside guys have the tools needed to do this internal work. 

And to be clear, no-one's done any work yet. We don't have an outside brown box. But we DO have the ducting installed from the main trunk sweep to the house.

We're so close! Wondering can anyone advise the best way to approach this? Should we just call VM tech support and explain the situation? I admit, I hate calling them cos I can wave good-bye to an hour of my life each time.

Maybe we need an inside engineer to come first, then the outside engineer, and then the inside engineer again?

Thanks for any advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, that's all wrong IMHO.  VM are responsible for the outside and inside cables.  They will run a single cable to the outside brown box and a single cable to the inside,  The splitter can be fitted internally.  You do not have to have any splitters outside, unless there is a need to run cables up the external walls etc.

For example, my splitter is internal for TV and BB.  However the TV one is now terminated, as I only have Broadband, but the principle is the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, that's all wrong IMHO.  VM are responsible for the outside and inside cables.  They will run a single cable to the outside brown box and a single cable to the inside,  The splitter can be fitted internally.  You do not have to have any splitters outside, unless there is a need to run cables up the external walls etc.

For example, my splitter is internal for TV and BB.  However the TV one is now terminated, as I only have Broadband, but the principle is the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

davefoy
On our wavelength

Thanks @Adduxi. And what you say makes total sense. What the outside engineer guy told me today really confused me, but he insisted all that coax needed to be sticking outside through the wall. 

If it is in fact one cable coming inside, then that's much easier. The outside engineer does their thing, and the inside engineer does theirs. A splitter inside can connect up whatever we need to connect up inside. 

Thanks again.

davefoy
On our wavelength

Wondering if anyone else can confirm @Adduxi 's wisdom? Just to make sure. 🙂

(Sure you're right @Adduxi!)

Hello davefoy, thank you for your post and reaching out today. 

Regrading installations queries we have two teams that do installations, we have a pre install team who come and do the work outside and then we have the engineers who will come and install the service inside the house. 

So in a nutshell one outside one inside engineers.

I will send you a PM so we can find out exactly what is happening with you if that's ok? 

Please look out for for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Excellent! Thanks @Matthew_ML. That'll be really helpful. I'll keep a lookout.

davefoy
On our wavelength
Hi @Adduxi - just wanted to let you know we finally got connected yesterday. Don't know if you can see on my photo but there's a piece of black ducting with a pull rope that comes into our hallway from outside. The engineer ran the cable up through that ducting into the hallway, no need to drill through into the house. And yes, the splitter is on the inside as you said. 🙂 Thanks again for your help.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad to see it was all sorted. It’s nice when a plan comes together 😊