cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to discountinue broadband service

hotbit
On our wavelength

I'm on rolling monthly contract. I called oversees call centre to discontinue my broadband service. Lady with Indian accent tried to give me a new, better price, was asking me how many devices I use as if it matters, and before making service cancellation all the time she has had 'one last question'.

After she asked me again whether I'm moving, I asked her whether she's moving, but she refused to answer. I have asked her to tell me her full name, but as if she's working for a scam centre she gave me clearly fake 'Rose' as her name.

After 40 min I lost my nerve an disconnected.

How do I discontinue my contract?  How do I avoid Branson's dirty tricks, so I don't pay for an extra month or spend another hour on the phone being asked about how many devices I use? Not your business, I want straight and simple just to discontinue my contract after 18 years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its 30-days from them receiving your notice. But you will get a final bill a few weeks after that so dont cancel the DD yet. See this....

See the link -
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

To cancel with with 30 days notice

Call 150 from a VM phone or by dialling 0345 454 1111 - select options 1,1,4,4, - thats the UK based retentions team - but calling at 08.00 is the best time to get through without being diverted offshore I would record the conversation too.

"TOP TIP: If you're struggling to get through or are tired of waiting in the queue - you can try Virgin Media's cancellation and retentions department directly on…. 0800 952 2277 or  0800 052 2001 - or some have used 020 3743 6947.

2. Cancel In writing to…
Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Include dates, name ,address and all account details. They say to also include your phone number so they can call you to confirm - probably to make you an offer to stay.
Do it by registered mail next day delivery guaranteed and with a receipt for signature on arrival.

Whatever you do DO NOT cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been settled or or it will cause all sorts of issues you dont want.
---------------------
Send the letter by Royal Mail Guaranteed delivery and save a copy along with the proof of sending and the proof of delivery with signature.

FYI - Some information on cancelling & early disconnection fees are here...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

hotbit
On our wavelength
PS Last bill I have paid on Feb 27, bill date Feb 20. If I discontinue today, when will be my last bill?
(Lady on phone insisted I will pay my bill in March and one more on 16th April, is that correct?)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its 30-days from them receiving your notice. But you will get a final bill a few weeks after that so dont cancel the DD yet. See this....

See the link -
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

To cancel with with 30 days notice

Call 150 from a VM phone or by dialling 0345 454 1111 - select options 1,1,4,4, - thats the UK based retentions team - but calling at 08.00 is the best time to get through without being diverted offshore I would record the conversation too.

"TOP TIP: If you're struggling to get through or are tired of waiting in the queue - you can try Virgin Media's cancellation and retentions department directly on…. 0800 952 2277 or  0800 052 2001 - or some have used 020 3743 6947.

2. Cancel In writing to…
Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Include dates, name ,address and all account details. They say to also include your phone number so they can call you to confirm - probably to make you an offer to stay.
Do it by registered mail next day delivery guaranteed and with a receipt for signature on arrival.

Whatever you do DO NOT cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been settled or or it will cause all sorts of issues you dont want.
---------------------
Send the letter by Royal Mail Guaranteed delivery and save a copy along with the proof of sending and the proof of delivery with signature.

FYI - Some information on cancelling & early disconnection fees are here...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

hotbit
On our wavelength

Thank you, I guess I will have to write a letter.

I've tried 150, but likely it's too late today and I was transferred again to India. A woman refused to process my request, as 'Rose' has put into the system that call was disconnected, and she tried to call me back (a lie, my phone was not in use and nobody called) and that she will try to call in an hour.

Likely it's due to policies they have, and people like Branson are responsible. It's difficult to not get angry when they can't provide clear answers, which is not good for these workers not for customers. I've asked three times simple: "Can you process my request (service cancellation) or not? Simple yes or no" but she was going around without clear answer. Branson, Virgin Media - you should be ashamed.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@hotbit wrote:

Likely it's due to policies they have, and people like Branson are responsible. It's difficult to not get angry when they can't provide clear answers, which is not good for these workers not for customers. I've asked three times simple: "Can you process my request (service cancellation) or not? Simple yes or no" but she was going around without clear answer. Branson, Virgin Media - you should be ashamed.

Richard Branson sold Virgin Media to Liberty Global in 2013. He no longer has a financial interest in the company, although his brand name is still used under licence.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/feb/06/virgin-media-takeover-john-malone-liberty-global 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hotbit,

Thank you for your post 👋

I am so sorry for your experience with us and I am sorry for any confusion, I can take a look into this for you if you want to ensure this has been received.

I will pop you over a PM just keep an eye out for the little envelope 📩

thanks,

Zoie