cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change broadband contract to different person in the same household?

velraj
Joining in

How to change broadband contract to different person in the same household? Currently the contract is with my partner which has expired. Now i want to change contract to my name without service disruption. When i spoke to Virgin Media customer service, they said not possible and want to disconnect the service from my partner name first by giving 30 days notice and then apply for a new connection and wait for up-to 90 days! Can some one please advise as i need the new contract in my name as i need to claim expenses and the bill should be in my name.

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not do this. You have to cancel one contract and start another one in the new name. Also if there is a landline you cannot transfer the number from one contract to another.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

velraj
Joining in

Parter = Spouse and we live in the same address

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not do this. You have to cancel one contract and start another one in the new name. Also if there is a landline you cannot transfer the number from one contract to another.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to cancel and enter a new contract in my name however, to activate the new connection i am told might take up to 90 days! Since there is no engineer needed to visit to put a new connection, can VM not expedite it on the same day please? Thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 90 days is correct. It to stop people who are out of a 12/18/24 month contract cancelling and then in another name getting all the benefits of a ‘new’ user contract which is much cheaper.

Tudor

Thanks, in that case can VM not add additional name to the existing contract/bill as we can do for Utilities? This will enable me when i claim my expenses? This looks like hitting the brick wall and no way out of it. Certainly VM can look into this issue from customer perspective.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses velraj,

So to clarify there would only be one named account holder I'm afraid. 

3rd party's can contact us regarding matters however our team will advise if the necessary query requires the account holder to be present.

Regards,

Kain

Thanks for all your replies. It's a shame i need to leave VM just for the reason the bill cannot be in my name as i need to claim expenses. Probably it's an opportunity for me to explore elsewhere after being with VM for 15 years!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM are quite inflexible in matters like this, for the reason given above. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi Velraj, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this, I am sorry there isn't much wiggle room when it comes to this situation. 

We used to be able to transfer responsibility a few years ago, but this has changed now due to new policies. 

The only way forward would be to cancel the account that's in your Partner's name and have a new account set up in your name. 

I have a link here which has more info on what to do next 👉 Change Account Holder - It has the number that you need to call in order to get this started. 

Sorry that we can't help further. 

Thanks,

Megan_L