Menu
marctheg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How long to expect a response from a letter

So after trying to call for 6+ hours I sent Virgin a letter to cancel, signed for on the 11th Feb.

I have been sent a bill a week after that (not a final bill) but my direct debit is of course cancelled and I will settle my final bill when they calculate it correctly

How long do you normally have to wait for a response from the letter? I am not jumping through any more hoops for what could be done via email in a pandemic rather than having to leave the house,so in all honesty I am in no rush, just curious.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: How long to expect a response from a letter

Check your account in My Virginmedia. The cancellation should show up there as an order. It is unlikely that VM will reply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
marctheg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely nothing.

They can cart on, I have tracking for the letter etc. If they made contacting them easier I would try but my part is done.

Cheers anyway.

0 Kudos
Alex-B
Just joined
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to check, you did send it to the address noted in section N.1.2 of the contract detailed at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end ?

"In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice. You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:
2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG"

If you sent the letter to a different address, I wouldn't expect anything to happen, as that's the only address given in the contract.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure from other customer posts to the forum (with uploaded evidence) that some printed contracts have cancellation addresses that aren't Nottingham.  Hampshire and Cardiff addresses come to mind.  If that applies here, then VM's online conditions won't take precedence, and the OP would be compliant to use either.  If VM will keep closing call centres and moving their operations round the country, that's their problem, not their customers.

However, this AGAIN raises the problem of VM's poor handling of cancellations and failure to confirm in writing or even email.  Obviously if VM process the cancellation, all should be good, but if this becomes another botched cancellation, then the OP may have a fine old job trying to get their credit history put right if VM demand a DD payment that is refused.  In that case they'll experience the joy of VM's faceless bureaucracy labelling them a defaulter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
marctheg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mine did get sent to the Nottingham address, it was the only one I was able to find at the time after quite a lot of searching to be fair.

I am not too fussed about my credit rating as it stands, Motonovo / First Rand bank once impacted my credit rating without justification and it didn't end well for them.

I have actually sent a few emails to local MPs etc regarding the practice of cancelling during the Coronavirus outbreak to just rock the boat a bit. I don't believe we should be forced to leave the house for information that can be sent in an email, that is an unnecessary risk for many and I have recordings of Virgin saying their phonelines are closed well before they are listed as being closed online.

Looks like I am digging in for the long game, hopefully things can improve.

Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Marctheg,

Thank you for your post, 

I am so sorry to hear the customer journey you have had with us and that you have has issues getting through, I have located your account and can see your letter or request to disconnect. We do not do cancellations over forums but I can see you have an open complaint and I will help you come to a resolution.

I will pop you over a message and we can go from there. Keep an eye out for the purple envelope

Zoie

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for messaging with me Marctheeg,

I can assure you I am not a scam artist I am a member of staff and was going to disconnect for you even though we do not offer it as I felt a duty to customer care.

As you have refused to clear DPA so I can disconnect there is nothing further we can do 

Zoie

0 Kudos
marctheg
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As stated, I have tracking information for my letter arriving and I refuse to give my personal details over private messaging for a contract that I have been informed can only be ended via letter or telephone.

Clearly a scam. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That would appear to be your choice.  Looks to me like this is going to end up with CISAS, but any settlement in your favour may be reduced if the company produce this exchange during which you've effectively refused to co-operate with the company to resolve the matter.  Potentially, CISAS may even deem the complaint inadmissible for refusal to engage when the company has responded with a view to reaching a suitable conclusion.

Read my other posts if you doubt it, because I'm no spokesman for the company, and I have been vocal in criticising VM's dismal lack of on-line account management capability, along with its often poor handling of cancellations.  But you're not helping your own case here.