cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long a new broadband installation normally takes?

wingsss
Tuning in

Hi,

I am new to virgin media and setup a contract in mid Oct, then the installation was delayed twice and will not be ready before late November. Should this be normal for new installation? And no one had told me what is the problem excerpt some “external work” need to be done.

Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whatever the cause, 99% of organising the doing sits with VM, and 100% of the customer communication sits with VM.  The whole pre-installation and re-pull situation has been a diabolical shambles for many months now, and VM have resolutely refused to provide any explanation or clarity to customers, some of whom have waited months, with repeatedly broken installation dates, and repeatedly broken promises that the latest date is certain to be honoured.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The VM installation process is in an awful state when things are not straightforward. Go through a number of threads on here and see the reasons why. My standard reply is....

Can you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract?

If so do it now. Let the VM install run its course. You will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational When it finally happens you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence be better if you took a 30-day contract).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

thank you for your answer and you are probably right about the 30 days contract with other vendor. But the issue is i only get notification from VM the day before installation. And then another 2-week waiting, it is hard to get to the decision for the short period broadband.

Wayne

it can be chip set like routers they use can be low stocked it has been for a long time new installs can take longer then what they put on the day on install. since the lock downs stock like routers or anything with chip set in them are very high to get low stock or no stock i don't know if bt will have this problem or sky or any internet providers this is what happening with graphics cards low stock or none becuse they not working 24/7.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Could be that or the "external work" being in the hands of third party contractors and getting council permission, etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Whatever the cause, 99% of organising the doing sits with VM, and 100% of the customer communication sits with VM.  The whole pre-installation and re-pull situation has been a diabolical shambles for many months now, and VM have resolutely refused to provide any explanation or clarity to customers, some of whom have waited months, with repeatedly broken installation dates, and repeatedly broken promises that the latest date is certain to be honoured.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Morning Wayne,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that your installation has been delayed, I can completely appreciate how frustrating this must be.

We are very limited to what we can do to help when it comes to installs here from the forums, but we can get a complaint raised for you and assign the case to the Installations Team who can help further.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some details. Please find my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Beth

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi wingsss,

Thank you for confirming your details with me via PM. I have now raised a complaint for you and have assigned the case to our Installation Team. The installation Team will seek to contact you as soon as possible to discuss your complaint with you and work towards a resolution.

Please do let us know how you get on from here and once the Installation Team have made contact 🙂

We do hope that this is resolved for you soon,

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thank you for following up. I have waited for a few days but no one has contacted me. Tomorrow is the installation date, i hope i wont receive another cancel message tonight.

Regards

Wayne

Hi all,

The VM technician finally came to help with the installation. We are connected now. 

Thank you

Wayne