cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move my router

paulanddace
Joining in

Hi all,

I currently have my router in my lounge, but the cable runs around my skirting and door frames from the front of the house.  In my hall there is a join in the cable that you can unscrew and the end looks identical to what I have in my lounge.  I have tried plugging this into my router, and while it's a perfect fit, my router stops working and has a flashing red light.  When I move it back to my lounge it works fine. 

It seems like the issue is that the system is set up for a particular length of cable.  Is there any quick and easy way to fix this?  I have tried the automated system and it says my wires are not connected properly when plugged in in the hall, but they are, it's just a shorter run.

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The correct way to do the move is pay VM a very reasonable £25 fee.  They will move the Hub to your preferred location and will rebalance the power levels.  Altering the cable length does, as you have found out, change the power levels.  In your case, it sounds like the levels are now too far out of spec.

You can see the power levels by going to 192.168.0.1 and click on the link Router Status.  Downstream should be -6 to +10 and Upstream 34 to 51 btw

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi paulanddace,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

So as stated by @Adduxi, moving the router would require our team to be called out.

This has a £25 one off charge.

I've dropped you a PM if you're okay with this to advise further.

Regards,

Kain