cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move my Hub 4 to another location?

Daniel12816
Tuning in

I currently have my Hub 4 next to my living room TV as that was the only place that I could use the coax cable needed for the Hub, however this means I can't run an ethernet cable from my Hub to my PC upstairs.

I have a WiFi pod which has ethernet ports but even with that, it seems like it throttles my wired internet speed.

I should get 1Gbps or close with ethernet however with ethernet through the pod, I get 500-550Mbps.

I imagine this is the pod throttling it and that if I was plugged directly into the hub, I would get better speeds.

How do I go about moving it to another location where I can do this and use the coaxile cable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Z92
Trouble shooter

You need to ring customer services, they'll request an engineer visit to move the Hub to another location for you.

Expect to be charged for this, typically about £25.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Z92
Trouble shooter

You need to ring customer services, they'll request an engineer visit to move the Hub to another location for you.

Expect to be charged for this, typically about £25.

Thank you - Does that include wiring etc?

@Daniel12816 wrote:

Thank you - Does that include wiring etc?

Of course. Regards Micky 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you also have a TV box then this will also need a coax connection. You can have an additional coax connection put in another location, but do not forget that the TV box also need a LAN connection. You will have to use WiFi for this.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you - It's just the hub and I haave an engineer booked. Hopefully he can add an aditional coaxile connection upstairs to then move the hub up there. 🙂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Tudor has stated already, I hope the wifi signal is good enough to service the TV box when the Hub is moved.

If you own the property, don't forget you might be able to run an ethernet cable externally to the room with the PC and leave the Hub where it is?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I think some of you are missing a point here: if a coaxial cable can be run then so can an Ethernet cable. If the hub is moved an Ethernet cable should be run downstairs as well to enable connection to the TV box, TV or WiFi pod. It's best to buy a length of cat 6 before the tech arrives.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The OP said they didn't want to run an ethernet cable inside?  Hence my suggestion of external cable, similar to what I imagine the co-ax will be run from the omnibox to upstairs ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If the OP wants a coaxial cable run inside then an Ethernet cable can be run alongside it. This is fine as coaxial cable is shielded.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection